[comp.protocols.appletalk] System 7 and appleshare

a2mp@PSUORADM.CC.PDX.EDU (Michael Perrone) (03/19/91)

> Now that May 13 is going to be the big day for System 7.0, what happens to
> all those AppleShare File Servers.  Are they forever stuck in System 6.x
> land.
>
> Note that MultiFinder is the only "Finder" in System 7 and that the
> AppleShare File Server will NOT run under MultiFinder (at least the current
> version).
>
> A long time ago I heard a rumour about AppleShare File Server V3.0, is this
> the answer.  If so why have we not heard rumours about how good it is :-)
>
> The print server probably needs an update too with True Type about.
>
> Any comments, rumours, baseless guesses??

Just the facts:
Appleshare 2.x will not run if you install system 7 on the server machine.
Leave 6.0x on the server.

Appleshare WILL service both 6.0 and 7.0 clients, no problems at all...
The only important thing is to upgrade everyone to the printer drivers
that come with system 7, they work well under system 6.

Hey trust me, I've got system 7.0b4 and a network--

| Michael Perrone, Macintosh Programmer                                 |
| Portland State University                                             |
| Office of Computing and Information Services                          |
| Microcomputer and Administrative Systems Services                     |
| Bitnet: a2mp@psuoradm.bitnet                                          |
| Internet: a2mp@psuoradm.cc.pdx.edu                                    |
| Voice: (503) 725-3112                                                 |
| Address: P.O. Box 751, Portland OR 97207                              |

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (03/20/91)

hi,

Did you realise that under 7.0 EVERY Mac can be a server WITHOUT AppleShare
Server Software??? It comes with the system FREE and, hey, it looks GOOD.

So I suppose you simply install sys 7.0 on your server and throw away
AppleShare Server software. And you even can use your mac server for doing
other tasks as well...

Heaven on earth... !?

I don't know any reason why that shouldn't work with all software running on
AppleShare file servers. (Mailsystems, Printserver ...)

Oliver.

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.144511.6426@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE>, breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) writes:

> hi,
>
> Did you realise that under 7.0 EVERY Mac can be a server WITHOUT AppleShare
> Server Software??? It comes with the system FREE and, hey, it looks GOOD.
>
> So I suppose you simply install sys 7.0 on your server and throw away
> AppleShare Server software. And you even can use your mac server for doing
> other tasks as well...
>
> Heaven on earth... !?
>
> I don't know any reason why that shouldn't work with all software running on
> AppleShare file servers. (Mailsystems, Printserver ...)

System 7 file sharing is very nice, but it won't replace high use
AppleShare servers since it limits the number of concurrent users
to a relatively small number (forgot exactly).

You'll still want AppleShare for servers that have a high number of
users.  And the new version of AppleShare is rumored to include a
number of goodies like remote booting support and such.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE