[comp.protocols.appletalk] Mac to NeXT printing..

kaser@ee.rochester.edu (Bob Kaser) (03/22/91)

This may have been discussed before but I do not remember it.  We have an
extensive LAN comprised of mostly SUN's(3 & 4) running SunOS 4.1(.1), about
70 and a few NeXT's.  There are also 3 AppleTalk`s gatewayed to the
ethernet with 3 FastPaths.

Running on one of our servers is various KIP/CAP programs mostly for printing
concerns from the Mac's and SUN's.  Presently we have a couple of "lwsrv's"
runing for the Mac's to print to the SUN printers.

What I would like to know is if there is any way to be able to print from
the MAC's to the NeXT's using CAP. I've tried every thing I can think of but
always get offending commands on the NeXT print server. Any and all suggestions
would be greatly appreciated since I'm at a lose on this one.

Mail responses directly to me and I will summerize if there is enough
interest.  Thanks to all in advance.

Bob Kaser
System Programer
Univ of Rochester
Dept of Elect. Eng.

Why did the Lord give us so much      {)        kaser@ee.rochester.edu
quickness of movement unless it	     //\\                or
was to avoid responsibility with?   ///\\\  ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!kaser
				      /\

--
Bob Kaser
System Programer

makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar22.142711.19053@ee.rochester.edu> kaser@ee.rochester.edu (Bob Kaser) writes:

> What I would like to know is if there is any way to be able to print from
> the MAC's to the NeXT's using CAP. I've tried every thing I can think of but
> always get offending commands on the NeXT print server. Any and all suggestions
> Bob Kaser
> System Programer
> Univ of Rochester
> Dept of Elect. Eng.

I am not sure what the question is. Are you talking about using the
NeXT running CAP as printspooler using lwsrv to print to PostScript
printers or using CAPlwsrv to print to NeXT printer ?

ANyway, Yes, it is possible to print from the Mac to the NeXT printer
using CAP and YES it is possible to print to Postscript printers
connected to NeXT and YES, it is possible to print to locatalk
printers using CAP papif from the NeXT.

There are problems printing from Mac to NeXT printer. One of the
problem is the offending commands error you described. I have been
using the NeXT printer to print to Macs for 1+year and from
experience, I found that the errors occured mostly on files containing
EPS in them.  For some reasons, the NeXT postscript interpreter that
does all the rasterising of the page, crashes when it encounter
postscript encapsulation in a file.

I have printed from most programs including PageMaker, FreeHand,
Adobe Ilusstrator , Word,MacWrite, etc.. The most problem occurs on
program that let you place EPS file like Adobe Illustrator, FreeHand
and PageMaker. PageMaker sometimes will let you print if you use Apple
driver instead of Aldus driver.

As far as printing to postscript printers from NeXT CAP lwsrv or
Papif, I have no problems except for the "occasional" crashes of the
printing daemon due to network problems (CAP papif) and handshaking
problems on serialy connected postscript printers.

I hope this help you solve the problem. I have used CAP5.0, RUCAP2,
and the last CAP6.0.release.

Hanz Makmur
Rutgers University