[comp.protocols.appletalk] Transition to Phase 2 in big network

Gary White (03/21/91)

Hi-
We have a big AppleTalk network involving about 50 zones, with T1
links to remote district offices using cisco routers to break up
Ethernet, then with FastPaths and GatorBoxes and a lot of Macs
directly on Ethernet.  Currently we are running AppleTalk Phase 1,
but want to switch to Phase 2 very soon.

We have an established company-wide network numbering and naming scheme which
it would be nice to retain;  in fact our preference is
to have the same net numbers after switching.

Does anybody have suggestions on how to make the transition?  It this
best done in a crazy weekend, or are there ways we can do it zone by
zone or maybe an Ethernet leg at a time?

Experience with ciscos in a network would be particularly appreciated.

(Currently our ciscos route AppleTalk and TCP/IP while bridging every-
thing else, such as DECnet, XNS, etc.

Thanks!
-Gary White
 Exploration and Research Center

gwhite@arco.com (03/22/91)

Well, I fouled up the posting of my article about Phase 2 migration.

Replies, if sent by email, should go to

    gwhite@arco.com

Thanks!
-Gary White

hobson@madness.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) (03/29/91)

Gary White writes:

>Hi-
>We have an established company-wide network numbering and naming scheme which
>it would be nice to retain;  in fact our preference is
>to have the same net numbers after switching.

>Does anybody have suggestions on how to make the transition?  It this
>best done in a crazy weekend, or are there ways we can do it zone by
>zone or maybe an Ethernet leg at a time?

>Experience with ciscos in a network would be particularly appreciated.

>(Currently our ciscos route AppleTalk and TCP/IP while bridging every-
>thing else, such as DECnet, XNS, etc.

>Thanks!
>-Gary White
> Exploration and Research Center

	Well, the way we will be doing this, is section of media
(ethernet, token ring, localtalk, T1, 9.6K, etc.) at a time since we
have cisco routing network. Since we have sectioned zonenames via
media/gateway, it should be easy for us. Presently, we are testing out
various appletalk gateways on a small appletalk phase 2 network.
	We ran into a problem where someone did not update their CAP
to either EtherTalk or IPTalk (they were using UAB). Here is a
statement from Chuck Hedrick about problem on one cisco gateway
running appletalk phase 1:
	"On rucs-gw, if you do "show appletalk int" you'll note that
net 85 has been forced into compatibility mode because of blake. With
the phase 2 test on 83, we've now got routing information that old
Appletalk routers can't make sense of.  Any network that contains at
least one router is flagged as being in compatibility mode.  Routing
updates on that network are hacked so that extended networks are shown
as if they were non-extended networks.  I believe only the first
network in the range is shown.  Because routing updates are broadcast,
the presence of a single old router on a network means that all
routing updates on that network must be hacked.  blake is still
running UAB.  UAB thinks it's a router, and is sending old-format
routing updates.  If you'd install the current CAP software and
configure it to do native etalk, this problem would vanish.  The same
problem will occur on any network that has old KFPS-2's, I assume.  If
the only router on that network is a KFPS-2, of course it's not an
issue, but it could become a problem if you have a 2 and a 4 on the
same network, because the presence of the 2 will force all routing
updates to be hacked."

	Until we have update CAP to EtherTalk Phase 2, we will be only
moving networks that do not have CAP host on them. So I can update our
backbone networks and various little department networks one day at a
time. To me, one day at a time allows us to back out of a change if
something goes wrong and others things will still work during the
transition in our university network.

Hopefully your transition will be just as successful.

--
Kevin Hobson				Internet: hobson@rutgers.edu
Rutgers - The State University		UUCP: {backbone}!rutgers!hobson