[comp.protocols.appletalk] Subnetted TCP addresses and Webster MultiGates

jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) (03/27/91)

We have ordered a Webster Multiport Gateway and are about to
put in a Localtalk network for our Macs. In preperation we have
put up CAP (to ensure it compiled on our Apollo's) and a few
other things. We've got hold of atalkad, and have compiled that
too. I am a bit concerned, though, about the issue of TCP
subnets in the configuration. The program obviously supports
them, but only refers to the use of whole number subnets.

Since our group has a separate network, our group is allocated
a registered TYPE C network address (192.84.82). This we subnet
using three subnet bits, to give a potential of 6 physical
networks of 30 nodes each. [subnetmask ffffffe0]. This serves
us well because we have two physically separate networks as it
is, and want to add one or two for the Localtalk networks.
Essentially we plan to use two of the Multigates four Localtalk
ports for standard use (one is to be dedicated to a laser, and
the other kept spare for the moment). I was hoping to use two
of the subnets for these - or have a single one (I'm not yet
that concerned which). If I can't use subnets, this is going to
be scuppered.

Could someone please let me know if my plan is feasible, or if
I have to work around this. The problem seems to be that of
setting broadcasting addresses, but maybe it is worse. As far
as I can tell, MacTCP is happy with subnets - it definitely
allows you to set them up.

John Forrest
Dept of Computation
UMIST

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar26.192901.1670@cns.umist.ac.uk>, jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) writes:
> We have ordered a Webster Multiport Gateway and are about to
> put in a Localtalk network for our Macs. In preperation we have
> put up CAP (to ensure it compiled on our Apollo's) and a few
> other things. We've got hold of atalkad, and have compiled that
> too. I am a bit concerned, though, about the issue of TCP
> subnets in the configuration. The program obviously supports
> them, but only refers to the use of whole number subnets.

CAP maps "whole number" Class C subnets to IPTalk (AppleTalk) networks.
Thus all CAP hosts that are on a Class C Subnet are deemed to be on
the same AppleTalk network. Whether or not you are subnetted as you
describe (subnetmask ffffffe0).

It should work OK, as long as the routers handle the "full subnet"
broadcast IP address properly (192.84.82.255). If this doesn't work
properly you may need to run atalkrd. Possibly not though. If the
MultiGate and the CAP host are on the same subnet it should be simple.

> Essentially we plan to use two of the Multigates four Localtalk
> ports for standard use (one is to be dedicated to a laser, and
> the other kept spare for the moment). I was hoping to use two
> of the subnets for these

Completely separate subject. Setting up MacIP (protocol that supports
MacTCP and NCSA Telnet etc.) is a completely separate issue to CAP.
They aren't really related. I'll send you mail on this.

> As far
> as I can tell, MacTCP is happy with subnets - it definitely
> allows you to set them up.

But what it actually does with subnets is a mystery. It probably only
uses this information when it is directly on Ethernet. Going through
MacIP is another matter - the "routing decisions" are different.

Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  A.C.N. 004 818 455

wcc@cup.portal.com
2109 O'Toole Avenue, Suite J SAN JOSE CA 95131 - 1303 CALIFORNIA
1-408-954-8054  FAX 1-408-954-1832

wcc-uk@cup.portal.com
Unit 7, Weltech Centre Ridgeway, Welwyn Garden City Hertfordshire AL7 2AA
LONDON UK. Ph  44-707-336969  Mobile 44-836-725849  FAX 44-707-373378