[comp.protocols.appletalk] Problem installing Async Appletalk

jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) (04/03/91)

I send the following message to djh@mannuri.oz.au (the author), but has anyone
else got any ideas?

I've had a problem installing Async Appletalk on my Mac - a Classic running
6.0.7 (although the same problem has been had on an SE too). The problem is
that bits where it says:

"Install the 'Network' adev that normally comes with the 'EtherTalk' driver"

and

"Copy 'Async Appletalk' into the System Folder"

I have access to the Network file - we had an Etherboard on trial, and also
it's on the Network Installer Disk. However, without anything to actually
install (on the list of the Installer program that is), I was reduced to
merely copying this accross. The effect? Well, nothing major except that it
doesn't work. The Async Appletalk adev does not appear in the control panel.
The Network cdev complains that it has not been installed properly. Any ideas?
What is it that makes an "adev" appear in the control panel - this seems to be
the problem. I have tried removing practically everything else Control Panel
wise - except of the GateKeeper and the Comms Toolkit, but these do not seem
to be the problem - the system just seems to be ignoring the Async Appletalk
device.

Any ideas would be most helpful.

John Forrest
Dept of Computation
UMIST

PS. I've tried both the one from the Webster Multigate distribution and the
one with CAP6.0.

dplatt@ntg.uucp (Dave Platt) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr3.143919@ap.co.umist.ac.uk> jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) writes:

>I've had a problem installing Async Appletalk on my Mac - a Classic running
>6.0.7 (although the same problem has been had on an SE too). The problem is
>that bits where it says:
>
>"Install the 'Network' adev that normally comes with the 'EtherTalk' driver"
>
>"Copy 'Async Appletalk' into the System Folder"
>
>I have access to the Network file - we had an Etherboard on trial, and also
>it's on the Network Installer Disk. However, without anything to actually
>install (on the list of the Installer program that is), I was reduced to
>merely copying this accross. The effect? Well, nothing major except that it
>doesn't work.

With some recent System versions, it appears necessary to install some
additional resources.  Frankly, I'm not sure what they are.  The way to
do this is to get ahold of [a] the EtherTalk installation disk, and [2]
the "Network Products Installer" disk (available with 6.0.5 or 6.0.7, I
believe).  Run the Installer on the Network Products Installer disk,
tell it to install EtherTalk 2.0, insert the EtherTalk disk when
requested, and let it do its thing.  This will install the Network cdev,
the EtherTalk 2.0 adev (which you can throw away if you wish), and some
additional resources which are apparently required for the Network cdev
to work correctly under System 6.0.5 or 6.0.7.

It's odd... I had to do this on my IIci running 6.0.5 (at work) but I
did _not_ have to do it on my IIfx/6.0.7 at home... simply dragging the
files worked fine on the IIfx.  Beats me why... maybe the IIfx has some
extra resources in ROM?
--
Dave Platt                                                VOICE: (415) 813-8917
                    UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (04/06/91)

dplatt@ntg.uucp (Dave Platt) writes:

>With some recent System versions, it appears necessary to install
>some additional resources. Frankly, I'm not sure what they are.

You need the notorious "INIT 18" installed in your System file to get
an AppleTalk file residing in the system folder to load. INIT 18 is
installed by every EtherTalk installer I've ever seen.

I have no idea whether INIT 18 would also load Async AppleTalk -
renaming the file to "AppleTalk" might do it, though.

Stephan Somogyi      1/8 of the world's population, 2/3 of the lawyers
MacUser

djh@cs.mu.oz.au (David Hornsby) (04/06/91)

In article <40947@cup.portal.com>, Stephan - Somogyi writes:
> I have no idea whether INIT 18 would also load Async AppleTalk -
> renaming the file to "AppleTalk" might do it, though.

'Async AppleTalk' is an 'adev' file, it is a client of the Network cdev
which must be present for correct operation. The adev is designed to be
installed by simply copying it into the System Folder. The Network cdev,
however, is installed as a side-effect of installing 'EtherTalk' or any
other of the alternate LAP mechanisms. As far as I know, there is no
method of separately installing the Network cdev. As the author of 'Async
AppleTalk', I would recommend *against* a name change as suggested above.

The original problem was incorrect installation of the Network cdev, see
the posting from Dave Platt for the correct method.

 - David.