[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP and two zones

slade@samoyed.wrc.xerox.com (Mike Slade) (04/04/91)

I would like to separate Unix connected printers into two zones.  Has
anyone done this using CAP 6.0?

It looks like if I run CAP 6.0 on two different Unix (Sun OS 4.x)
machines, I can define  a different zone for each in the appropriate
etalk.local files.

The configuration is CAP 6.0 on Sparcstations on a single ethernet
running Native Ethertalk, all Macs directly connected pon the same
physical ethernet via Ethertalk.

Anyone have any experience with something like this or can point out any
gotchas that will trip me up?

Michael Slade
slade.wbst128@xerox.com
(716) 422-5346

rapatel@khnphwzhn.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) (04/06/91)

In article <770@rocksanne.WRC.XEROX.COM> slade@samoyed.wrc.xerox.com (Mike Slade) writes:

> I would like to separate Unix connected printers into two zones.  Has
> anyone done this using CAP 6.0?
>
> It looks like if I run CAP 6.0 on two different Unix (Sun OS 4.x)
> machines, I can define  a different zone for each in the appropriate
> etalk.local files.
>
> The configuration is CAP 6.0 on Sparcstations on a single ethernet
> running Native Ethertalk, all Macs directly connected pon the same
> physical ethernet via Ethertalk.
>
> Anyone have any experience with something like this or can point out any
> gotchas that will trip me up?

Under current conditions, no.

If/when CAP supports ethertalk phase 2, then it would be possible to
have the machines use different Ethertalk network numbers and
subsequently different zones. Each appletalk network can only have 1
Zone name, so those machines would need to have different Ethertalk
network numbers under phase 2 in order to assign unique zones to each.

Rakesh Patel.

kre@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Robert Elz) (04/07/91)

rapatel@khnphwzhn.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) writes:

>Each appletalk network can only have 1
>Zone name, so those machines would need to have different Ethertalk
>network numbers under phase 2 in order to assign unique zones to each.

The basic answer to the original question is correct, but this part
isn't - under phase 2, an "extended" appletalk network can have
any number of network numbers (well, there's a limit that is a bit
smaller than the 16 bit range would imply, but 60000 net numbers
is possible), but its still really considered to be one network - the
extra network numbers are used to give more bits to the node number.

On such a network (regardless of the number of network numbers assigned)
any number of zones (up to 255 I think) can be assigned, so you could
easily have a network with a single net number and 20 zones.   There is
no direct relationship between net numbers and zone names (even on a net
with two numbers and two zones, clients in different zones may have
the same net number, and vice versa).

kre