[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP60 on a routerless network

djh@cs.mu.oz.au (David Hornsby) (04/09/91)

In article <Apr.8.12.27.44.1991.4412@khnphwzhn.njin.net>, Rakesh Patel writes:
> NOTE:  I have not tested this version in a routerless network, so I
> am not sure it will work properly in such an environment. Is anyone
> running CAP 6.0 in such an environment?

I just tried CAP 6.0 using native ethertalk on an isolated subnet (no
gateway to anywhere else) between a SUN 4 and a Mac II with EtherTalk.
Getzones and atlook fail (naturally, as there isn't a gateway to send
to) but atistest and aufs (and presumably also lwsrv printing via lpr
(remote UNIX printing) to another LaserWriter) worked fine. The only
potential trap is to make sure that there isn't an /etc/atalk.local
file to seed bogus values into /etc/etalk.local.

Details:
	/bin/rm /etc/etalk.local
	/usr/local/cap/aarpd ie0 azone
	/usr/local/cap/atis
	sleep 5
	/usr/local/cap/aufs -n servername

The zone name doesn't matter, you never get to see it but aarpd won't
accept just one argument.

It's probably worth noting that you can also do this with A/UX 2.0
using the native appletalk support.

 - David.