[comp.protocols.appletalk] Mail Systems

Chris_McNeil@MACSMTP.CSD.UNB.CA (Chris McNeil) (03/27/91)

What are some mail systems availiable for PC's and compatables. I look after
our Mac network usually but have been given the task of getting mail working
for IBM PC users also.
What we have: a few hundred PC Net users (who use CUTCP)
                     : probably many Novell networks in the future

What we Need: Mail between users
                     : Mail (SMTP) to the outside world

Any suggestions ? Also is POP a good way to go ? and does PCIP from Stanford
support packet drivers ( I want to use it with PCNET )

Sorry for the PC questions, I tried signing up to the CW-EMAIL list but nothing
happend.(must not like Mac users)

Chris McNeil
University of New Brunswick
cjm@unb.ca

wnn@ornl.gov (04/02/91)

In article <Added.gbw9qqO00UkTQ7iE8Z@andrew.cmu.edu>
Chris_McNeil@MACSMTP.CSD.UNB.CA (Chris McNeil) writes:
>What are some mail systems availiable for PC's and compatables. I look after
>our Mac network usually but have been given the task of getting mail working
>for IBM PC users also.
>What we have: a few hundred PC Net users (who use CUTCP)
>                     : probably many Novell networks in the future

QuickMail still is the most flexible and powerful mail system on the Mac.
There is a PC implementation, called PC QuickMail, but it doesn't work as
smoothly as the Mac version.  However, a new release is supposed to come out
soon.

If you have hundreds of PCs, you probably want to look into Banyan Vines rather
than Novell, since Vines is much more scalable, user-friendly, and
administrable in large multi-server networks. Vines has a very good built-in
mail system. Banyan also has a Vines mail to QuickMail bridge. They are about
to introduce a Mac Vines package.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
University of Tennessee & Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510

brianb@kinetics.com (Brian Bulkowski) (04/03/91)

Beg to differ, but IMHO Novell is extremely scaleable and friendly.
Netware 286 is a bit of a pain to set up, but 386 is a breeze.
The new 2.2 is supposed to be better, but I haven't seen it yet.
Also, we have the first reasonable huge scale AFP server implimentation.
The folks who brought you the fastpath have been working hard, and
even though it's a first generation product it's something to be proud
of. You can run it on one of those overexpensive system pros, the one
that I saw with 21 gig of disk and 120 MB of RAM. Basically replace a
mainframe. And scalebility - well, we have 300+ PC servers on our net,
and run TCP/IP, AppleTalk, and IPX long haul between 5 geographically
disperse sites. Remote development, it's called. We have guys I work with
in Utah who bop down and work on code in my server. I call that friendly
and scaleable. But I'm a techie, what do I know :-)?

But this isn't the place to discuss PC networking, eh?

A friend of mine did a cross cultural comparsion of mail packages,
and was unimpressed with QuickMail's ability to fit in with SMTP,
and with it's 256 *256 messages maximum storage capacity. He was
more impressed with a package called Eudora, which is from one of
those prolific universities like CMU or Michigan or something like that.
It works directly on TCP/IP. It won't make much sense unless the shop
has a lot of TCP/IP in place. Does anyone out there know more about
this package? My friend is quite a student of user interfaces,
and I trust him to be quite picky about details (tho quite a TCP bigot :-).

Ciao, dudes
BrianB
brianb@wc.novell.com

In article <1991Apr2.152611.26499@cs.utk.edu> wnn@ornl.gov writes:

>QuickMail still is the most flexible and powerful mail system on the Mac.
>There is a PC implementation, called PC QuickMail, but it doesn't work as
>smoothly as the Mac version.  However, a new release is supposed to come out
>soon.
>
>If you have hundreds of PCs, you probably want to look into Banyan Vines rather
>than Novell, since Vines is much more scalable, user-friendly, and
>administrable in large multi-server networks. Vines has a very good built-in
>mail system. Banyan also has a Vines mail to QuickMail bridge. They are about
>to introduce a Mac Vines package.
>
>Wolfgang N. Naegeli
>University of Tennessee & Oak Ridge National Laboratory
>Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
>Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
>QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510

Todd Strauch (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr2.152611.26499@cs.utk.edu> wnn@ornl.gov writes:

>If you have hundreds of PCs, you probably want to look into Banyan Vines
rather
>than Novell, since Vines is much more scalable, user-friendly, and
>administrable in large multi-server networks. Vines has a very good built-in
>mail system. Banyan also has a Vines mail to QuickMail bridge. They are about
>to introduce a Mac Vines package.

The only problem with Banyan Vines' mail package is that it is not fully
compliant with the SMTP standard.  As a result, user's are limited in
communicating outside the Banyan network.

frye@cerl.uiuc.edu (G. David Frye) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr2.192824.20583@novell.com> brianb@plasma.kinetics.com (Brian Bulkowski) writes:

>A friend of mine did a cross cultural comparsion of mail packages,
>and was unimpressed with QuickMail's ability to fit in with SMTP,
>and with it's 256 *256 messages maximum storage capacity. He was
>more impressed with a package called Eudora, which is from one of
>those prolific universities like CMU or Michigan or something like that.
>It works directly on TCP/IP. It won't make much sense unless the shop
>has a lot of TCP/IP in place. Does anyone out there know more about
>this package? My friend is quite a student of user interfaces,
>and I trust him to be quite picky about details (tho quite a TCP bigot :-).

Eudora was written by Steven Dorner at the University of Illinois.  It is
a Macintosh-resident POP-3 client.  You can get a copy via anonymous FTP
from "uxc.cso.uiuc.edu", in the "mail" directory.

G. David Frye, U of Ill
INTERNET: frye@cerl.uiuc.edu   PLATO: frye / s / cerl   PHONE: (217) 333-7439