[comp.protocols.appletalk] Has Appletalk-PC been discontinued?

fredrick@acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) (04/11/91)

This is the story I got from our purchasing people when we ordered an
AppleTalk card for the PC through which we want to use AppleShare PC 2.01.
I suspect it is Apple that stopped manufacturing the card.

Does anyone have an alternative that is totally compatible with AppleShare
PC 2.01?  It may also be that we'll want to use TOPS on this card, although
I do not want to get the TOPS flashcard -- I want a card that atalk.exe
will operate with (the old Appleshare-Localtalk driver -- compatible with
NCSA Telnet 2.3).

Thanks.

--Tim

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/11/91)

fredrick@acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:

>This is the story I got from our purchasing people when we ordered an
>AppleTalk card for the PC through which we want to use AppleShare PC 2.01.
>I suspect it is Apple that stopped manufacturing the card.

They sort of "gave" the AppleTalk PC hardware stuff to either farallon or
shiva, I forget which. I'd bet that a replacement product will be on the market
soon but I have no idea how compatible it'll be with the atalk.exe driver.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

rpike@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (04/11/91)

Farallon has taken over the Appletalk P.C. card and it should be out on the market any time now.

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (04/11/91)

fredrick@acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:

>This is the story I got from our purchasing people when we ordered an
>AppleTalk card for the PC through which we want to use AppleShare PC 2.01.
>I suspect it is Apple that stopped manufacturing the card.

AppleTalk PC has been sold to Farallon, who are actively manufacturing
and marketing it.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"