[comp.protocols.appletalk] System 7.0 Chooser

moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike Moya) (04/12/91)

It seems it was all a nightmare. The username field that used to be in the
Chooser in sys 6.XX is now in the "Sharing Setup" control panel item. More
specifically, it is now called the "Owner Name" field. There is an
interesting bug in this control panel however, try typing a colon, you get
a dash instead. Well, I have 7.0b4, maybe this is already fixed... Thanks
to all who repleid and lowered my stress level for the year...
--moya

--Mike Moya
--Macintosh Systems and Networking
--Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University
--moyman@ecn.purdue.edu

jj1h+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Joseph Jackson) (04/15/91)

moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike Moya) writes:
> There is an
> interesting bug in this control panel however, try typing a colon, you get
> a dash instead. Well, I have 7.0b4, maybe this is already fixed...

Having a colon in your chooser name (Owner Name now?) would be a
mistake since Appletalk network names use the colon and "at" symbol to
delimit the three fields.  For example, my chooser name is set to "Joe
Jackson".  By using responder on my Mac, the network name "Joe
Jackson:Macintosh II@HBH" gets registered.  I first read about this in
the LaserWriter manual; the colon and "at" symbol restriction applies
to LaserWriter names as well.

It sounds like the chooser is getting smart now by helping to enforce
these restrictions.

Joe Jackson
Distributed Workstation Services
Carnegie Mellon University