[comp.protocols.appletalk] papif/CAP 6.0/Ultrix 4.1 problem

edgar@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Edgar Nielsen) (04/20/91)

Hi,
	I'm trying to have my unix box print to an Laserwriter IINTX via
appletalk.  So far, I can't get it to work UNLESS I use lwpr.  I can
also talk to the printer with tlw.  But papif doesn't seem to work.
I've tried calling papif by hand with a file that works with lwpr,
but papif just sets the
laserprinter light blinking and nothing ever prints.  If I am using
lpr, nothing at all happens.  From the debugging
option of papif, the settings seem ok, but I can't get it to work.
Any common mistakes I might be making?

Also, I still have no found out why aufs won't let me copy files between
the unix box and mac.  Keeps thinking that file/folder is locked.

Thanks for any help,
edgar

doug@PSY.UWA.OZ.AU (Doug Robb) (04/22/91)

>	Date: 19 Apr 91 22:41:29 GMT
>From: agate!stanford.edu!morrow.stanford.edu!news@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
>   (Edgar Nielsen)
>	Subject: papif/CAP 6.0/Ultrix 4.1 problem

>	Hi,
>		I'm trying to have my unix box print to an Laserwriter IINTX via
>	appletalk.  So far, I can't get it to work UNLESS I use lwpr.  I can
>	also talk to the printer with tlw.  But papif doesn't seem to work.
>	I've tried calling papif by hand with a file that works with lwpr,
>	but papif just sets the
>	laserprinter light blinking and nothing ever prints.

Are you sending a postscript file? (I don't think papif will turn
a file into postscript, but I don't have the doco handy.) What you
probably should try is something like "lwf unix_file | lwpr"
where lwf is a utility program to turn an ascii file into
postscript. There are a few such utilities posted to
comp.unix.sources, etc over the past few years. If you can't locate
one I can send you lwf.
Since the laserprinter light blinks (ie the printer seems to be
at least processing your file) the rest of your set up looks
as if its ok.

doug@psy.uwa.oz.au

is probably ok