[comp.protocols.appletalk] LanWorks <--> Printing tools 6.1

hasselbrink@tertius.in-berlin.de (04/19/91)

We have currently DEC LanWorks 1.0. We use the printer service part to allow
VMS users to print on LaserWriter attached to AppleTalk. Works indeeed!
I recently upgraded on zone of Macs to the new Printing tools 6.1. The problem
is our version of LanWorks does not have support for this Apple driver
generation and therefore constantly reinitializes the printer. Ok?

My question now: Is there anybody who has got the appropriate MSAP$APPLEDICTxx
files which go into the device control table? Should be ascii text files. Since
system 7 is tested since a while they might also have been developed somewhere.

Eckart Hasselbrink                               Hasselbrin@fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Faradayweg 4-6
Fritz-Haber-Institut
1000 Berlin 33
Germany

face@arizona.edu (Chris 'Face' Janton) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr18.172440.6499@tertius.in-berlin.de>
hasselbrink@tertius.in-berlin.de writes:
> I recently upgraded on zone of Macs to the new Printing tools 6.1. The
problem
> is our version of LanWorks does not have support for this Apple driver
> generation and therefore constantly reinitializes the printer. Ok?
>
> My question now: Is there anybody who has got the appropriate
MSAP$APPLEDICTxx
> files which go into the device control table? Should be ascii text
files. Since
> system 7 is tested since a while they might also have been developed
somewhere.

Use the time-tested "Command-K" to create a PostScript file that contains
the newest LaserPrep while printing an "empty" file.  Remove the "empty
file" from the tail of the PostScript file and you now have a text file
that you ship to the VAX.

Add the text file to the device control library for the VAX side of the
house.  Modify the VAX queue definition to use the "new" prep file.

I have done this to keep a LaserJet III happy with both Mac users and VAX
users.

8)

Chris 'Face' Janton
CCIT