[comp.protocols.appletalk] System 7.0 AppleShare and Aufs problem

moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike Moya) (04/12/91)

There is a definite problem with System 7.0 and Aufs (Rutgers 2.0 version).
I comes by way of trying remove something from an Aufs mounted volume. 7.0
has changed the way things are removed from an AppleShare server somehow.
What happens is your Mac hangs in some infinite loop (you can break out of
it with the interupt button, >G FINDER). It looks like it creates an
invisible folder called "Network Trash Out" on the UNIX side and then
hangs... If somebody could get me the new specs I should be able to
incorperate a fix. Since I don't know what it's (7.0 appleshare/trash)
trying to do I am not real sure how to fix it... Anybody, anybody...

Everything else seems to work fine...
--moya

--Mike Moya
--Macintosh Systems and Networking
--Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University
--moyman@ecn.purdue.edu

rapatel@khnphwzhn.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) (04/13/91)

You might want to try out Aufs from CAP 6.0, since the folks at
Melbourne have updated Aufs considerably for that release. From
the CAP60.README file:

        * AUFS support for AFP 2.0 is (practically) complete (see below).

Has anyone tried the CAP 6.0 Aufs with System 7.0?

Rakesh Patel.

djh@cs.mu.oz.au (David Hornsby) (04/16/91)

moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike Moya) writes:
> There is a definite problem with System 7.0 and Aufs (Rutgers 2.0 version).

This is also a problem with System 7.0 (at least to beta 4) and CAP 6.0.
It is due to a couple of things:

	1. AppleShare now creates an invisible folder on the AppleShare
	server called "Network Trash Folder". When you try to delete
	something by dropping it in the Trash Can, the AppleShare code
	tries to byte-range-lock a zero-length file that it has open
	READ-ONLY. The file is called "Trash Can Usage Map".

	2. CAP uses UNIX lockf(2) for byte-range-locking. The restriction
	is that the file must also be open for writing. I used to believe
	that no-one would ever even consider trying to byte-range lock
	a read-only file (although it's legal in AFP). I was wrong!

	3. The Mac-end recovery from the lock failure consists of retrying
	the lock, seemingly ad infinitum (I timed out).

I have a gross patch for CAP (any flavour) that lets it work with System 7.0.
Hopefully something more elegant will be possible soon ...

 - David.

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (04/24/91)

In article <7374@munnari.oz.au>, djh@cs.mu.oz.au (David Hornsby) writes:
> moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike Moya) writes:
> > There is a definite problem with System 7.0 and Aufs (Rutgers 2.0 version).
>
> This is also a problem with System 7.0 (at least to beta 4) and CAP 6.0.
> It is due to a couple of things:
>
> 	1. AppleShare... tries to byte-range-lock a zero-length file
>	that it has open READ-ONLY. The file is called "Trash Can Usage Map".
>
> 	2. CAP uses UNIX lockf(2) for byte-range-locking...

And lockf can't do this. I assume special-case code is needed in CAP
to recognise and "translate" the request into something that can be done
by the Unix file system.

tecot@momenta.com (Ed Tecot), in comp.sys.novell,comp.sys.mac.system writes:
> At Apple, compatibility is very important; it's SOP to fix a third
> party's bug in system software if possible.

Is it too late for the byte-range-lock-zero-length-read-only behaviour
to be changed (or has it already)?

What concerns me is whether:

	CAP/AUFS	Pacer		Alisa		Novell
	PATHworks	Mt Xinu		UShare		NFS/Share
	Pathway NFS	all the other ones I've forgotten

can handle this now, or if they have to be changed to accommodate
System 7.

========================
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  A.C.N. 004 818 455

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (04/24/91)

In article <1710@wcc.oz.au> tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) writes:

   What concerns me is whether:

	   CAP/AUFS	Pacer		Alisa		Novell
	   PATHworks	Mt Xinu		UShare		NFS/Share
	   Pathway NFS	all the other ones I've forgotten

   can handle this now, or if they have to be changed to accommodate
   System 7.

NFS/Share seems to work well under System 7, although it does require
a working rpc.lockd on the UNIX side, which is a surprisingly rare
beast.  If you run bwnfsd (which you should be able to get from Beam
& Whiteside or InterCon), it'll use it for locking instead, as I
understand.

Disclaimer:  I'm an NFS/Share tester--contact InterCon for the official
scoop on the state of NFS/Share.

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda