[comp.protocols.appletalk] Maximum user count in aufs?

trier@odin.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (04/24/91)

The AUFS documentation (in CAP 6.0) includes a command-line option for
specifying the maximum number of sessions that can be open at once.
This defaults to 10, but can be set higher.  According to the man page,
the maximum "depends on the DDP implementation".  I can't find anything
else discussing this limit.  Just how large can I set that number before
things start going wrong?  (How many sessions can CAP 6.0 aufs support
at once?)

--
Stephen Trier                        Work: trier@ins.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University      Home: sct@seldon.clv.oh.us

djh@cs.mu.oz.au (David Hornsby) (04/25/91)

Stephen C. Trier writes:
> The AUFS documentation (in CAP 6.0) includes a command-line option for
> specifying the maximum number of sessions that can be open at once.
> Just how large can I set that number before things start going wrong?
> (How many sessions can CAP 6.0 aufs support at once?)

The limiting factor is the number of dynamic DDP sockets that can be
opened. CAP supports the normal dynamic socket range of 128 through 254.

Each CAP server (aufs, lwsrv etc) will consume one socket, each server
child process (aufs session) consumes another. Total per CAP *HOST*: 127.

How well this load is supported depends a lot on your base hardware.
There is also a limit on the number of NBP entities you can register
(IE: number of advertised servers). In CAP 6.0 this is currently 30.

 - David.

In article <7441@munnari.oz.au>, djh@cs.mu.oz.au (Me) writes:
> Each CAP server (aufs, lwsrv etc) will consume one socket, each server
> child process (aufs session) consumes another. Total per CAP *HOST*: 127.

Make that two sockets per CAP server. You can check which dynamic sockets are
in use with 'netstat -a | grep udp'. Anything in the UDP range 16512 - 16638
maps to dynamic DDP sockets 128 - 254.

 - David.