[comp.protocols.appletalk] A/UX 2.0 as a LocalTalk <-> Ethernet bridge?

sven@helix.cshl.org (Sven Dietrich) (04/30/91)

     I have a Mac IIfx running A/UX 2.0 with an Ethernet card installed.
Additionally, the Mac is on an Appletalk network (other Macs, file server,
printer).
     Is is possible to use the IIfx as a gateway to the Internet (the IIfx
presumably would be hooked up) if the other Macs on the Appletalk network
use NCSA Telnet (encapsulated IP packets)? That is: could the other Macs
telnet/ftp to Internet sites using some kind of software running in the
background on A/UX?{}.'
    Is there any such program? Commercial? Non-commercial? How difficult
would it be to implement, if possible?

Please respond to: sven@helix.cshl.org

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (04/30/91)

In <sven.672958648@helix.cshl.org> sven@helix.cshl.org (Sven Dietrich) writes:

>     Is is possible to use the IIfx as a gateway to the Internet (the IIfx
>presumably would be hooked up) if the other Macs on the Appletalk network
>use NCSA Telnet (encapsulated IP packets)? That is: could the other Macs
>telnet/ftp to Internet sites using some kind of software running in the
>background on A/UX?{}.'
>    Is there any such program? Commercial? Non-commercial? How difficult
>would it be to implement, if possible?

No, there is currently no software to do this.
Apple might have forseen this as functionality which would help sell A/UX CPUs
to existing Mac sites, but they didn't do anything about it.

In principle it should be straightforward: the steps are:

1) Hook into the AppleTalk streams modules so that the DDP packets which
contain IP packets (this is one of the type codes) are routed to a mixture of
a streams module and a conventional "interface".

2) Write the interface code which transmits "raw" IP packets as DDP packets
and which takes the contents of the IP-IN-DDP packets and passes them up into
normal IP.

3) Write some additional code to handle the IPGATEWAY functionality (if you
can find documentation on what is actually required).

Don't expect Apple to do this: they've so far shown no signs of doing anything
except AppleTalk protocols, e.g. the Apple Internet Router (which doesn't work
under A/UXC and is only for Apple networking anyway) and A/UX gettys which use
ADSP (rumoured - I've not seen such a thing, nor would I want one).
--

William Roberts                 Internet:  liam@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP:      liam@qmw-dcs.UUCP

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (05/01/91)

<
< >     Is is possible to use the IIfx as a gateway to the Internet (the IIfx
< >presumably would be hooked up) if the other Macs on the Appletalk network
<
< In principle it should be straightforward: the steps are:
<
Hmmm...

1) turn on IP forwarding in the A/UX kernel,
2) implement an IP interface which can route packets back to a user program,
3) write the program which forwards these packets onto Appletalk and vice
   versa,
3a) write a sensible user interface for (3),
4) either figure out how to do ARP for the Localtalk Macs, or use an unique
   (sub)net.

(1) is easy, (2) exists (I wrote it last week); if anybody wants to write
(3), go ahead. I don't have the time. I can mail the driver for (2) to
anybody who wants it.

(4) I don't know about. Does anybody know if it's possible to convince one Mac
under A/UX to do proxy ARP for other IP addresses? It seems that this
requires some kernel hackery. If neither that nor subnetting works in some
situation, another machine would have to do proxy ARP for this setup.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/