[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP/AUFS to MacBinary translation on a UNIX machine

johnw@medisg.Stanford.EDU (John Wiederhold) (05/02/91)

Does anyone out the know of a program that will let me take the three
files stored by CAP/AUFS (ie  filename .resource/filename .finderinfo/filename)
and create a single MacBinary from of them.  Any info would be welcomed.

Thanks,
John Wiederhold
johnw@medisg.stanford.edu

makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.174800.8517@medisg.Stanford.EDU> johnw@medisg.Stanford.EDU (John Wiederhold) writes:

> Does anyone out the know of a program that will let me take the three
> files stored by CAP/AUFS (ie filename .resource/filename
>.finderinfo/filenam
> and create a single MacBinary from of them.  Any info would be welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> John Wiederhold
> johnw@medisg.stanford.edu

Yes, all of this nice utility is already part of the CAP6.0
distribution. To conver cap files to MacBinary then you would have to:
use: binhex  and mcvert .

If you ever wanted the other way around then you would use:
capit or aufs. this is what the man page says about these programs and
other useful standard Mac utilities.

unsit - extract/list files in a  Macintosh  Stuffit  archive
stuffit - create a Stuffit archive from  Unix  text  or  CAP aufs files
binhex - convert CAP aufs file(s) to Binhex 4.0 Unix file(s)
toaufs - decode Binhex 4.0 files to CAP aufs format
mcvert - BinHex 4.0 to MacBinary file conversion utility
capit - convert a MacBinary file into a CAP aufs one.

sit  -  create a Stuffit archive  from Unix text or  *.{rsrc,data,info} files
unxbin - same as binhex but for *.{rsrc,data,info} format files

I hope this helps

Hanz Makmur
Rutgers University