[comp.protocols.appletalk] Diagnostic tools for MacTCP

sysnet@cc.newcastle.edu.au (05/03/91)

I have just been experimenting with various configurations for MacTCP on Macs
equipped with Ethernet cards.  Unfortunately, this is a tedious process,
because the only thing I can do is try to start Telnet.  If it doesn't die, I
can look at the IP number.  If it does, what?

Are there any tools to look at MacTCP data structures or for testing things?
--
David Morrison, Manager, Networks and Comms, Uni of Newcastle, Australia
sysnet@cc.newcastle.edu.au or (VAX PSI) psi%0505249626002::sysnet

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt (BNR)) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May3.145817.10074@cc.newcastle.edu.au>
sysnet@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:
> Unfortunately, this is a tedious process,
> because the only thing I can do is try to start Telnet.  If it doesn't
> die, I can look at the IP number.  If it does, what?
>
> Are there any tools to look at MacTCP data structures or for testing
> things?

The AG group's "GetMyAddress" application will open the MacTCP driver (so
it then responds to PINGs until you reboot), and report the IP address
that MacTCP is using.  If MacTCP can't get an address, or there is some
other problem you get some indication since no IP address is reported.  I
got my copy off of AppleLink in the Novell folder, I think.

This is certainly more convenient way of determing that MacTCP is
correctly installed, recognized, PINGable, etc., then firing up a telnet
application.  But we do both.  First we run "GetMyAddress".  If that looks
good, then we fire up a telnet session, before commissioning a new Mac
Ethernet install.

Ben Schmidt       Information Technology,   Bell-Northern Research
bschmidt@bnr.ca   FAX:(613) 763-3283  /* My opinions, not BNR's */