[comp.protocols.appletalk] Why do I see a different Zone list in the Control Panel and Chooser?

tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Anthony Olejnik) (05/03/91)

The subject line says it all.

On an Ethernet(Ethertalk) connected Mac, when I'm in the chooser
I see one set of Zones.  When I'm in the Control Panel (under the
Network CDEV and double-clicking on the EtherTalk Icon) I see a
different zone list.

The Network CDEV zone list appears to be a subset of the Chooser's
zone list.

Using Interpoll, I see the same zone list as I see in the Control
Panel (Network CDEV).

This is causing mucho problems.  I have many Ethernet (using EtherTalk)
connected Macs that I want to set into a zone that does not appear in
the Contrl Panel.  BUT I'M ABLE TO SEE THE ZONE IN THE CHOOSER!

I have a mixture of GatorBoxes, Apple Internet Routers, and Liason.
All seem to be configured the same way.  We're doing the following:

	1.) designating the EtherTalk Net range to be 1-128
	2.) Assigning the LocalTalk nets to have their own unique
            net nunber which start above 1000.
	3.) For each Localtalk zone name that we specify in the
            router, we also have an EtherTalk zone of the same
            name. So each of the 15 routers are assigned a unique
            localtalk zone name.  Also, each of the 15 routers
            has the same 15 zone names specified in their
            EtherTalk zone list (we have a special 16th zone
            that each router also has which is designated as the
            default zone.)

With the above in place, we can use interpoll (and by sorting via
the net number) we can tell weither a device is on LocalTalk or
the Ethernet (if net=1-128, its Ethernet.  If net > 1000, its
localtalk).  This helps in the administration and troubleshooting
of the network.

Also, since for each LocalTalk zone we have an equivalent EtherTalk
zone name, no matter how you are connected (localtalk/ethertalk)
you can access services (file servers/printers) on either medium
without switching you network connections.  Since we typically
have our file servers on the ethernet and the printers on the
localtalk, we find this very convenient.

However, we have this weird problem with some missing zones.
(missing from the Control Panel that is).

Any help would be *GREATLY* appreciated.

Thanks.

--tony

naftoli@alsys1.aecom.yu.edu (Robert N. Berlinger) (05/04/91)

In article <42496@netnews.upenn.edu> tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Anthony Olejnik) writes:
>On an Ethernet(Ethertalk) connected Mac, when I'm in the chooser
>I see one set of Zones.  When I'm in the Control Panel (under the
>Network CDEV and double-clicking on the EtherTalk Icon) I see a
>different zone list.
>--tony

The list of zones that you'll see in the network CDEV are the zones
that reside on the cable to which the particular Mac is connected.  If
you want a zone to show up there, it must be listed as one of the zones
on that cable in your routers.  A zone may appear in many network
ranges on different cables.
--
Robert N. Berlinger                 |Domain: naftoli@aecom.yu.edu
Manager of Networking and Systems   |UUCP: ...uunet!alsys1!naftoli