[comp.protocols.appletalk] AppleShare

tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Anthony Olejnik) (05/07/91)

There's a group here on campus that is in the process of putting together
an AppleTalk network.

They have hired a consultant who has a background with Novell's Network
(and is a Novell VAR).

He is suggesting to use Netware and Mac VAP/NLM instead of Apple's
AppleShare file server software.

From what I understand, Mac VAP is used with Netware 286 while Mac NLM is
used with Netware 386.

The consultant has indicated to me that Netware is a better performer
and have increased security features than AppleShare file server.

QUESTION:  Is the consultant correct?  is a Network server running
           Mac VAP/NLM (on an 80x86 system) better than AppleShare
           file server (on a Mac)?

Thanks.

--tony

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (05/07/91)

tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Anthony Olejnik) writes:

>Is the consultant correct?  is a Network server running Mac VAP/NLM
>(on an 80x86 system) better than AppleShare file server (on a Mac)?

For an easy answer to the question see (yes, folks, you guessed it)
the June issue of MacUser, where servers were tested. We didn't get NW
3.11 and the AFP NLM in time, but we did compare AShare (on various
Macs) and NW 2.15c.

The vague answer to the question, however, is that the "best" server
depends entirely on the application. Database transactions are quite
different than mass file-copying, and some servers do better in one
than another.

We will almost certainly be looking at NW 3.11 with NW/Mac 3.0 (the
NLM) in an upcoming issue.

Stephan Somogyi                          No. No. No. I'm NOT with MIS.
MacUser

JSIMPSON@MIAMIU.BITNET (Joe Simpson) (05/08/91)

In article <42706@netnews.upenn.edu>, tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Anthony
Olejnik) says:
>The consultant has indicated to me that Netware is a better performer
>and have increased security features than AppleShare file server.
>
>QUESTION:  Is the consultant correct?  is a Network server running
>           Mac VAP/NLM (on an 80x86 system) better than AppleShare
>           file server (on a Mac)?

See "File Servers" by David Beaver, Tim Standing, and the MacUser
Labs Staff, MacUser, June 1991.  They discuss performance and
operation of many options including Novell.

They conclude that the most cost effective AppleShare file
server is a Mac SI running Appleshare.  Novell does show up well,
compared with other non-Apple solutions.

Novell servers are routinely configured with a host of fault
tolerance/redundant hardware options.  If these are important,
Novell is more attractive.  I don't believe that there is any
enhanced security (as distinguished from reliability).  Management
will require a Novell expert.  We use departmental secretaries and
administrative assistants to admin. Appleshare networks.

If you have MS-DOS/Windows/OS2 machines they would be well served
by Novell as well.

a2mp@PSUORADM.CC.PDX.EDU (Michael Perrone) (05/08/91)

> There's a group here on campus that is in the process of putting together
> an AppleTalk network.
>
> They have hired a consultant who has a background with Novell's Network
> (and is a Novell VAR).
>
> He is suggesting to use Netware and Mac VAP/NLM instead of Apple's
> AppleShare file server software.
>
> >From what I understand, Mac VAP is used with Netware 286 while Mac NLM is
> used with Netware 386.
>
> The consultant has indicated to me that Netware is a better performer
> and have increased security features than AppleShare file server.
>
> QUESTION:  Is the consultant correct?  is a Network server running
>            Mac VAP/NLM (on an 80x86 system) better than AppleShare
>            file server (on a Mac)?

1) Are there going to be DOS machines on this network?
2) Is it a localtalk only network?

If you answer NO to 1 and YES to 2, Netware doesn't make any sense at all
compared to Appleshare.

Novell is great for networks that bring PC's and Mac's together on the same
file server. Otherwise Appleshare costs less and it *so much easier* to
administer than novell  (although I must say, the new release (v 2.2) of
netware 286 has an easier to use "netgen," than the 2.15 releases).

Is Netware a better performer than appleshare?

It depends. If you are running a small network over localtalk, then
localtalk's slow speed is your bottleneck, an no amount of cache, speed,
etc. on the server is going to do you any good.

Novell security features are more extensive than AppleShare. But the
features of Appleshare may be adequate for the task. What good are
extra options if you don't need them?

Another thing- Appleshare 3.0 will come out in a few months, and have some
things that Netware doesn't- like network booting support.

Michael Perrone                      PSU Computing Services
a2mp@psuoradm.cc.pdx.edu             (503) 725-3112

Todd Strauch (05/08/91)

>The consultant has indicated to me that Netware is a better performer
>and have increased security features than AppleShare file server.
>
>QUESTION:  Is the consultant correct?  is a Network server running
>           Mac VAP/NLM (on an 80x86 system) better than AppleShare
>           file server (on a Mac)?

Recent articles in several Mac trade publications, have placed Novell's Netware
3.11 running MAC VAP/NLM at the same level as Apple's AppleShare product.  On a
386 machine, speed is about the same.  Netware does have security advantages,
particularly at the file level.

Though our department does not currently have a Novell network, we are
considering one after working with one on another department's network.  It was
running Novell's Netware 3.11 on an IBM PS/2 model 95 (33mhz, 486) and it
screamed.  Access via a Mac was seamless and performance far outstripped our
IIci AppleShare server.  To be fair, though, the PS/2 was not heavily used
while the IIci is almost always at it's 50 user limit.