[comp.protocols.appletalk] System 7.0 Chooser, and System 6 Chooser.

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (05/08/91)

From article <0c9yy7C00WCo4ehFFR@andrew.cmu.edu>, by tjh+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Tom Holodnik):

> 	What happens when there are lots of System 7 machines and lots of
> System 6 machines, and lots of System 7 file sharing? Device lists under
> System 6 Chooser are more limited (i.e., smaller) than under System 7,
> so there may be some System 6 users who may never see their AppleShare
> server of choice. That is, if there is lots of System 7 filesharing
> going on.
> 	The folks in our group are currently testing and evaluating System 7.0.
> We've been pondering some transition issues involved in making the
> transition from System 6 to System 7.
> 	The machines most likely to use System 7 are the machines that are
> memory (and disk) rich, while there may be some population of machines
> that can't make the upgrade, for either economic reasons or for other
> reasons.
> 	One of the major attractions to System 7 is file sharing. There are
> already a lot of student-run AppleShare servers around. There will be
> even more when System 7 is released with new systems.
> 	Has anyone else thought of these issues? Does anyone have a plan for
> dealing with this other than to break up their network into smaller
> zones (in which case the number of zones to scan increases, which may be
> another problem for the user).
> 	If anyone has some clever ideas about this, please share them with the list.

It seems that subneting is a possible solution to this.  But then, if you
already have too many zones...

glaeske@plains.NoDak.edu (Brian Glaeske) (05/09/91)

I would say that if you have a large network, you will have to go to
AppleTalk (or is it EtherTalk) Phase II.  Phase II is less restrictive, and
allows users to join the zone that they want.

How many people out there are on Phase II already?

--
Brian Glaeske
 -  /|                        glaeske@plains.NoDak.edu  [Internet]

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (05/10/91)

In article <10291@plains.NoDak.edu> glaeske@plains.NoDak.edu (Brian Glaeske)
writes:
>How many people out there are on Phase II already?

Our entire campus network has been on Phase Two for several months now.  The
changeover was not too bad, but I had the luxury of being able to basically
flatline the whole network over a weekend for upgrades.

Bruce Carter                             Internet:     bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Courseware Development Coordinator                     duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu
Boise State University                   Bitnet/CREN:  DUSCARTE@IDBSU

rpike@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (05/11/91)

We have gone to phase II campus wide and have had no problems.  It wasn't nearly as hard to impliment as some people make it sound.

Ron Pike
CSU Chico