[comp.protocols.appletalk] Administrative overhead of routing multiple protocols through cisco

a2mp@PSUORADM.CC.PDX.EDU (Michael Perrone) (05/18/91)

We are now creating a campus wide network at psu with a central router.
Lots of users would like to see multiple protocol routing, but our
Director is concerned with maintenance and support overhead, as well
as the possibility that the network might be less stable.

I would like to hear from network administrators who route multiple
protocols (we have a cisco router):

How much extra support and administration does multiple protocol routing
add?

Does multiple protocol routing make either the net or router less
stable?

How much extra effort is needed to add just ipx bridging and
appletalk (phase 1 or 2) routing?

------------------On the FLIP SIDE-------------------------

Have any of you decided to limit routing to tcp/ip, and if so, why?

If you have limited routing to tcp/ip, are you using atalkad (ip tunneling)
to route appletalk? How much work is that?

Thanks for responses.

Michael Perrone                      PSU Computing Services
a2mp@psuoradm.cc.pdx.edu             (503) 725-3112
bitnet : a2mp@psuorvm.bitnet

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (05/19/91)

Every protocol has overhead.  Much of it is with the protocol, not the
router.  I.e. you have to assign addresses, names, etc., and do
network monitoring.  I regard tunneling and other ways to avoid
multi-protocol routers as more of a support problem.  The effect on
router stability depends upon protocol and release.

Cisco's DECnet support has been almost completely trouble-free, in all
releases.  We never have to put staff time in on it, and only minimal
time on overall DECnet configuration and support.

Novell has been close to trouble-free, and has required almost no
staff time, at least in non-beta releases.  However our Novell network
is smaller than our Atalk network.  If you want to be conservative,
you might disable fast switching for Novell, though this could be
paranoia.  (I'm not saying it won't work, just that based on the
history of the code, if Novell is going to fail, that's probably
where.)

Appletalk has been nothing but trouble for us.  Its dynamic nature
means that anybody can add a node to the network, or even a router,
and the network management doesn't need to add any table entries,
etct.  This is advertized as an advantage, and the IP community seems
to be adding similar features.  I consider it a disaster, because one
misconfigured KBox can cause havoc, and there's nothing to stop any
random user from installing a KBox.  (The same could be true of IP, of
course, but it's less likely that somebody is going to create an IP
subnet and add a router for it without talking to the network
administration.)  The reliability of cisco's Appletalk support, even
in official releases (i.e not beta) has been less than ideal, though
the failures don't normally impact other protocols going thru the
router (except in the sense that an atalk failure may require a
reboot).  I think the next release of cisco 8.2 (expected imminently)
will fix atalk.  The most conservative approach would be to wait for a
month or so after release and then ask about experiences, but I'm
pretty confident.  If you have lots of Macs there is probably no way
to avoid routing Appletalk.  Can you really afford to be unable to
access printers, servers, etc., around the campus?  But if you have a
substantial network, expect to have a person doing Atalk support.

My view of atalkad is that for a substantial network it's a bad idea,
because it doesn't interact well with normal Atalk routing.  If you
have mostly Localtalk, and want to talk with servers that are
primarily Unix machines, it might be acceptable, but I'm sceptical.
Unfortunately I've just injured my hand, which means I'm not giving
as many details as I usually would, because it's painful for me to
type.   If you need more details, I may be more forthcoming later.

wicinski@bill-n-ted.esd.sgi.com (Tim Wicinski) (05/19/91)

In <May.18.21.16.18.1991.13337@athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:

>reboot).  I think the next release of cisco 8.2 (expected imminently)
>will fix atalk.  The most conservative approach would be to wait for a
>month or so after release and then ask about experiences, but I'm
>pretty confident.  If you have lots of Macs there is probably no way

i have 8.2 release notes, and people here run 8.2 on routers heavily in
the igrp world, and they say appletalk seems more broken now than it did
in 8.1. i can't say, i have the release notes, but nothing else yet.

tim

s31806a@kaira.hut.fi (Peter Lindblom) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May19.084837.14525@zola.esd.sgi.com> wicinski@bill-n-ted.esd.sgi.com (Tim Wicinski) writes:

>i have 8.2 release notes, and people here run 8.2 on routers heavily in
>the igrp world, and they say appletalk seems more broken now than it did
>in 8.1. i can't say, i have the release notes, but nothing else yet.

I have had a little experience with appletalk and cisco 8.2 (though a beta
version), and it seems like appletalk really is more broken than in 8.1.
Nevertheless there is atalk phase 2 support, but there is definitely some
kind of problem. Of course this might be because of beta software...

Peter Lindblom                  | home phone intl. + 358 0 468 2725
System Analyst                  | office     intl. + 358 0 7098 3045

internet: s31806a@kaira.hut.fi, pl@sun.sam.tele.fi

hayes@Apple.COM (Jimmy Joe Jim Bob) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May19.084837.14525@zola.esd.sgi.com> Tim Wicinski writes:
> Charles Hedrick writes:
>
>>reboot).  I think the next release of cisco 8.2 (expected imminently)
>>will fix atalk.  The most conservative approach would be to wait for a
>>month or so after release and then ask about experiences, but I'm
>>pretty confident.  If you have lots of Macs there is probably no way
>
>i have 8.2 release notes, and people here run 8.2 on routers heavily in
>the igrp world, and they say appletalk seems more broken now than it did
>in 8.1. i can't say, i have the release notes, but nothing else yet.

/* Taking off my Apple hat here... */

8.2(1 thru 3) broke Atalk for a few reasons.  Cisco added Phase II
support, completely redesigned the AppleTalk architecture and
redesigned a fair chunk of it again after its initial release.  (The
redesigns primarily improved routing table management on huge (more
than 500 networks) AppleTalk internets, which in turn improved
interfaces not covered by hardware assisted "fast-packet-switching"...)

The current shipping versions have some problems, but as Chuck pointed
out, the next release (8.2(4)) will fix them completely and perform
much better.  We've been running the new code (as a test site) for some
time now, and so far, we've seen the improvements enough to entrust the
new code to our factory, our product developement buildings (over FDDI)
and the System 7.0 software team.  Our daily network metrics number in
hundreds of gigabytes per day through the routers.

Hope this helps.

--
Jim Hayes, Network Management Weenie
Engineering Network Services, Apple Computer Inc.

Inet: hayes@apple.com		 UUCP: {amdcad|decwrl|ames}!apple!hayes

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (05/21/91)

>i have 8.2 release notes, and people here run 8.2 on routers heavily in
>the igrp world, and they say appletalk seems more broken now than it did
>in 8.1. i can't say, i have the release notes, but nothing else yet.

My comment applied to a second maintenance release of cisco 8.2, which
I believe is not quite out yet.  I agree that Appletalk support in the
8.2 initial release and first maintenance release is less than ideal.
I don't remember enough about 8.1 to be able to make that comparison,
but 8.2 may well be worse than 8.1.

medin@cincsac.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) (05/21/91)

>If you have lots of Macs there is probably no way
>to avoid routing Appletalk.  Can you really afford to be unable to
>access printers, servers, etc., around the campus?  But if you have a
>substantial network, expect to have a person doing Atalk support.

Chuck, it's clear that most campuses will have to bite the bullet and
support Appletalk around their facilities at some point, if there
a fair number of Mac's around.  But this doesn't mean all the problems
with excess dynamicism that Appletalk "classic" is known for.

At Ames, we have a huge number of Mac's.  I think we ranked in the top 10 in total
number of Mac's on site in some Mac rag's survey of large mac sites.  Almost
all these mac's are wired together via the campus lan, but instead of
using Appletalk classic, we run a modified KIP and "static" routing via atalkad
instead of RTMP and ZIP and all that running around.  The campus net
backbone is right now basically a huge bridged system, nearly the worst
case situation for Appletalk, and things work pretty well with 70+ Kboxes
and a few Gatorboxes sprinkled around the facility.  No, Phase II isn't supported,
and while many mac's have ethernet's in them, they use the localtalk interfaces
to run Mac stuff, and use MacTCP stuff on their ethernets.  One day, when
we have "internal node" support for Mac's, they'll be allowed to use Appletalk
via their ethernets as well.  Besides, most of the applications our scientists
want/need high performance for are really IP based anyways, talking to the
various "real" computers around the facility and the world.

All this works by and large pretty nicely, and atalkad things are taken care of
by an operations type (ie not a network weenie), and centralized management
lets us know who attaches to the network so we can keep track of them
and make sure things keep working.  If network management is important
to you, you have to be able to enforce some restrictions on what the network
looks like and is built out of.  I realize this goes against the grain
of what most appletalk types want, but sometimes you just have to put your
foot down, if you need to use the net for other things.

I'm not saying what we do is perfect, but it supports a huge appletalk
system with little engineering labor required, and avoids the need to
deal with RTMP and such.  Maybe one day things will work much better and
we won't have to resort to doing this sort of thing, but for now, we have to
do what we can.  Note if you wanted to support a lot of different vendors,
your support requirements go through the roof because getting the vendors
to do the right things with KIP isn't easy, but both Shiva and Cayman seem
to be trying real hard to make their code work well with KIP.

							Thanks,
							   Milo

PS usual disclaimers apply