[comp.protocols.appletalk] driver for appletalk pc card

puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Paul Puglia) (05/22/91)

Does anyone know of a sys v 386 either release 3.2 or 4  driver for the
apple appletalk pc card?   Also does anyone know how to get technical info
from apple to write such a beastie if one wanted to?

Thanks in Advance

Paul Puglia
Dept of Civil Engineering
Columbia University

sblair@upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.174134.13639@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Paul Puglia) writes:
|> Does anyone know of a sys v 386 either release 3.2 or 4  driver for the
|> apple appletalk pc card?   Also does anyone know how to get technical info
|> from apple to write such a beastie if one wanted to?

I for one would be quite hesitant on writing such a beast. You've got to
deal with many layers of s/w, connectivity that has dynamic(unless
assigned) addressing schemes, etc...

It would be easier to port CAP(Columbia Appletalk Protocol), or purchase
a commercially available product such as Kshare/Print from mt. xinu...

Remember, you've got IP going on as well on your machine. You'd have to have
a driver written that would span 3 layers of protocols, and that would be
quite a challenge. Furthermore, you could just go *buy* a Gatorbox, and
have to do almost nothing.............

--
Steve Blair	DELL	UNIX	DIVISION sblair@upurbmw.dell.com

*Notice:   "/earth is 98% full, please delete anyone you can...."
					-anonymous @dell.com

leburg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Pierson) (05/23/91)

In article <20226@uudell.dell.com> sblair@upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) writes:
>In article <1991May21.174134.13639@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Paul Puglia) writes:
>|> Does anyone know of a sys v 386 either release 3.2 or 4  driver for the

>I for one would be quite hesitant on writing such a beast. You've got to
>deal with many layers of s/w, connectivity that has dynamic(unless
>assigned) addressing schemes, etc...

Just a note on these, Farallon purchased the right to produce these cards from

Apple and is now marketing them. I would contact them instead of Apple.