[comp.protocols.appletalk] MacIP4.0 and Sys 7.0

moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike Moya) (05/23/91)

Am I the only one that can't run an Apple menu item when MacIP is in the
forground??
--moya

--Mike Moya
--Macintosh Systems and Networking
--Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University
--moyman@ecn.purdue.edu

LEFTY@applelink.apple.com (Schlesinger, David) (05/24/91)

In message <9105231318.AA00175@aquarium.ecn.purdue.edu>, moyman@ecn.purdue.edu
(Mike Moya) writes:
>Am I the only one that can't run an Apple menu item when MacIP is in the
>forground??

No, but possibly you and I are the only two.  Actually, I've noticed this
problem for quite a while now.  I'm not sure what's causing it, but it has
persisted from version 2.1 up to version 4...

(Andy, are you listening?)

--
David Schlesinger (lefty@apple.com)    |    C:.M:.C:., D:.O:.D:.
Apple Computer, Cupertino, CA          |

powers@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (05/24/91)

In article <9105231318.AA00175@aquarium.ecn.purdue.edu>, moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike Moya) writes:
> Am I the only one that can't run an Apple menu item when MacIP is in the
> forground??
> --moya
>
> --Mike Moya
> --Macintosh Systems and Networking
> --Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University
> --moyman@ecn.purdue.edu

You're not the only one.  I also blame MacIP for several system crashes under
system 7.0.  I didn't report anything while running the different beta
versions of 7.0, but when the apple menu problem and crashes continued in
the release version I sent a note to the support Email address at Stanford.
I haven't heard back from them.

			Mark Powers

maas@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (05/24/91)

>In message <9105231318.AA00175@aquarium.ecn.purdue.edu>, moyman@ecn.purdue.edu
>(Mike Moya) writes:
>>Am I the only one that can't run an Apple menu item when MacIP is in the
>>forground??
>
>No, but possibly you and I are the only two.  Actually, I've noticed this
>problem for quite a while now.  I'm not sure what's causing it, but it has
>persisted from version 2.1 up to version 4...
>
>(Andy, are you listening?)

Yup, MacIP4.01 fixed the problem. For those who have SU-MacIP4.0
license and don't have MacIP4.01, drop me email and I'll send the
binhexed MacIP4.01 to you and your site contact person. It's not
available via anonymous FTP.

Using C call (Open (MPW C 2.0 ?) for opening Apple Menu item somehow
has such problem. And I don't think I did it the wrong way either.
Anyway, changing it to use Pascal call fixed it.

Here is the Pascal call version.

	if (theItem > SKIPAPPLE) {
		GetPort(&saveport);
		/* Aaron said C call version will bomb in System 7.0 */
		GETITEM(mainData.menu[menu_id(APPLEMENU)], theItem, deskname);
		OPENDESKACC(deskname);
		SetPort(saveport);
	}

>--
>David Schlesinger (lefty@apple.com)    |    C:.M:.C:., D:.O:.D:.
>Apple Computer, Cupertino, CA          |

Andy Maas
Stanford University