[comp.protocols.appletalk] Need help with PhoneNet on existing LocalTalk net

ireland@ac.dal.ca (06/02/91)

I have been trying to add another Mac to an existing LocalTalk network
using PhoneNet boxes. I want to put the new mac in the middle of the
LocalTalk network, but haven't even been able to put it at the end
of the network.  The only thing that has worked so far is a 2 mac
all PhoneNet network.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keith Conover
ireland@ac.dal.ca

carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au (06/02/91)

--
Keith,
Phonenet and localtalk don't get on very well together, if you read the

 *__ |\  John Carson                   \   Ph:       (089)466207
 -  -  \  Northern Territory University \  Fax:      (089)466454
/       \ PO Box 40146,CASUARINA,NT,0811 \ Inter: Carson@post.ntu.edu.au
\_.--.__/ Australia.  			  \or: Carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au
       v            "Darwin the Paradise of the North"

kenw@skyler.arc.ab.ca (Ken Wallewein) (06/02/91)

  First, I presume you're using one of Farallon's PhoneNet/LocalTalk
adapters.  The specs say not to use more that two of them on a network;
better to use none at all.  But as far as I recall, that's the only
restriction.
  You don't say, but judging by the nature of the problem you're having, I
would guess that your LocalTalk network is already pushing the limits.
I've been there.  It's ugly.  And if it weren't at that point, what you're
attempting to do would probably work.
 You're going to have to do something to improve the electrical state of
the network before proceeding.  A Tops Repeater (they're cheap) or the like
will help as a stop-gap measure, but you really need to look at two things:
	1. switching to all-PhoneNet
	2. installing a bridge of some sort -- there are a lot of choices.
  As an implementation measure, you could switch a few Macs at a time from
PhoneNet to LocalTalk, starting from one end of the net, and moving the
PN/LTK adapter along as you go.  Every little bit will help.
--
/kenw

Ken Wallewein                                                     A L B E R T A
kenw@noah.arc.ab.ca                                             R E S E A R C H
(403)297-2660                                                     C O U N C I L