[comp.protocols.appletalk] remot booting of macs

a4424dac@awiuni11.bitnet (05/31/91)

Hello everybody,

we want to BOOT our Macintosh Computers from a central server.
All Mac+s are connected to an Ethernet LAN.
The proplem is that our Macintosh Computers are really DISKLESS -
this means that the have no hard disk and NO FLOPPY DISK inside.

I know that you can boot MS/DOS machines with an BOOT-ROM on your
Ethernet Interface. Is this service available for Mac+s too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Manfred Schmiedl
University of Vienna
eMail: A4424DAC@AWIUNI11.BITNET or Internet:
       A4424DAC@HELIOS.EDVZ.UNIVIE.AC.AT

PS: Please mail directly to me - Thank you ......

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (06/03/91)

In article <1991May31.135436.937@nestroy.wu-wien.ac.at>, a4424dac@awiuni11.bitnet writes:
> Hello everybody,
>
> we want to BOOT our Macintosh Computers from a central server.
> All Mac+s are connected to an Ethernet LAN.
> The proplem is that our Macintosh Computers are really DISKLESS -
> this means that the have no hard disk and NO FLOPPY DISK inside.
>
> I know that you can boot MS/DOS machines with an BOOT-ROM on your
> Ethernet Interface. Is this service available for Mac+s too?

AppleShare 3.0 due in Sept/October (1991 maybe) will provide remote booting.

All we need now is a ROM upgrade for the thousands (millions) of Mac+s out
there to support this feature.  Then we will be able to run 7.0 on a Plus!

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

Metamorphosis (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun3.114701.2995@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au>
bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au writes:
>AppleShare 3.0 due in Sept/October (1991 maybe) will provide remote booting.
>
>All we need now is a ROM upgrade for the thousands (millions) of Mac+s out
>there to support this feature.  Then we will be able to run 7.0 on a Plus!
>
>--
>David E. Bellamy

7.0 on a Plus?  From a *file server*?  You must be out of your mind--
7.0 runs like a snail on a Plus, even from a local hard drive.  Running
7.0 from a Plus-- off a *file server* would be rather like throwing the
Mac through a vat of molasses: possible in theory, but not a terribly
useful idea in practice...

- Meta

inei@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Nick Nei) (06/04/91)

> 7.0 on a Plus?  From a *file server*?  You must be out of your mind--
> 7.0 runs like a snail on a Plus, even from a local hard drive.  Running
> 7.0 from a Plus-- off a *file server* would be rather like throwing the
> Mac through a vat of molasses: possible in theory, but not a terribly
> useful idea in practice...

You also won't get Virtual memory, and other things I can't remember
off-hand.  But will AppleShare 3.0 work on System 6.*?  If so then
remote boot with Pluses would be quite nice.

Mail:  Nick Nei, Computing Science Dept.,
       Glasgow Univ., 17 Lilybank Gardens,
       Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK.  Tel: (041) 339 8855 x 5457
ARPA:  inei%uk.ac.glasgow.dcs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk USENET: inei@cs.glasgow.uucp