[comp.protocols.appletalk] Can Macs Print to Unix Printers?

chris@lgc.com (Chris Martin) (05/23/91)

I'm in some need of some net.wisdom.

We've got a pretty substantial documentation group here that is split
across unix machines and macs.  The doc. group has just purchased an
HPiiisi printer (PS/PCL-5).  Naturally, they want to use it from both
macs and unix machines.  Currently, we have it hooked to a Sun Sparc2
Using NeWSprint to rasterize and a parallel interface.  It really
screams (about 15ppm full graphics).

But, I've been having a very difficult time finding out how I can go
about printing from the macs to this printer.

I have looked at CAP.  At first look, it appears as if it might work
but lwsrv seems to mandate that it be printing to LaserWriter.  Is this
the case?  If so, I could go this route though I prefer a commercial
(supported) solution.

I have called the company that sells TOPS and they said that they do
not support printing from macs to unix printers.

I have called Caymon and they also say they don't support printing from
macs to unix printers.

Does *anyone* print from macs to printers attached to unix machines?
I'd hate to have to move the printer onto the mac network.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,
        --Chris
--

Christopher Martin                                chris@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.; Houston, Tx.; U.S.A.     (713) 579-4605

Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.170047.16299@lgc.com> chris@lgc.com (Chris Martin)
writes:
> Does *anyone* print from macs to printers attached to unix machines?
> I'd hate to have to move the printer onto the mac network.

At the risk of not solving your problem but providing information for
others, QMS make two printers, ps-815 and PS-825 that are Adobe PostScript
and HP PCL compatible Laser printers that can accept parallel, serial, and
AppleTalk connections at the same time.

They call their technology ESP for Emulation Sensing processing.  The data
streams are interpreted and the appropriate language selected. They
combine this with SIO for simultaneous Interface operation. This allows
all interfaces to accept data simultaneously.

Seems like a good solution to me.................

Angus Fox
Sun Microsystems Europe Inc - Sitka
Internet:Angus.Fox@uk.Sun.com
Janet:Angus.Fox@sun.co.uk
AppleLink:SITKAEUROPE
Phone: +44 276 51440
Disclaimer: I dont have a QMS but I worked MacWorld Amsterdam last week on
the same booth as them and had an opportunity to try out their printers.

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/25/91)

We have a Cayman Gatorbox.  This lets Macs mount NFS disks on UNIX machines,
and lets Macs print to printers on UNIX machines.  With the
GatorPrint software, it also works in reverse: UNIX machines
can print to Appletalk printers.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

hal@world.std.com (Harry A Levinson) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May22.170047.16299@lgc.com> chris@lgc.com (Chris Martin) writes:

>I'm in some need of some net.wisdom.

stuff deleted

>I have looked at CAP.  At first look, it appears as if it might work
>but lwsrv seems to mandate that it be printing to LaserWriter.  Is this
>the case?  If so, I could go this route though I prefer a commercial
>(supported) solution.
>

>Does *anyone* print from macs to printers attached to unix machines?
>I'd hate to have to move the printer onto the mac network.

I am trying to find a solution to the same problem.  At this time the
best candidate is Wollonong's (sp) NFS products for the mac.  According
to the literature it should allow mac printing to the unix devices.  It
should also allow unix systems or mac to print to printer located on
a mac.  This will require TCP/IP and NFS support on the unix system(s).

Please remember that I DO NOT speak from experience.  I, like you, am
only to find my way through rather unclear waters.

good luck
harry
hal@world.std.com

perl@PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May22.170047.16299@lgc.com> chris@lgc.com (Chris Martin) writes:

>I'm in some need of some net.wisdom.
Can't help here.

>I have looked at CAP.  At first look, it appears as if it might work
>but lwsrv seems to mandate that it be printing to LaserWriter....
>...Does *anyone* print from macs to printers attached to unix machines?
>I'd hate to have to move the printer onto the mac network.

Try isrv and iwpr.  They aren't realy conpleted products but they
are functional and demonstrate the basic code you need to A) have
your UNIX system look like a printer on the AppleTalk, and B) send
a spooled job to an AppleTalk printer -- though it seems you
don't need this part.  BTW, isrv and lwsrv are the same program,
lwsrv.c.

We use "lp" and have an interface script that look to see if the
file to be printed is PostScript or not, if it is, it gets
printed as is, otherwise we run it through a PostScript
conversion filter (transcript, lpscript, psflt, etc.) first.

--
Always remember that you are here having already understood the necessity of
contending only with yourself. Thank everyone who affords you the opportunity.

tgregg@mitre.org (Thomas A. Gregg) (06/04/91)

Try K-Spool from Mt. Xinu.  Our Postscript Imagen 3320 shows up as a
laserwriter in chooser and Mac print jobs are spooled along with unix
print jobs.  Works great.

Thomas A. Gregg
tgregg@mitre.org

moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike Moya) (06/05/91)

>Try K-Spool from Mt. Xinu.  Our Postscript Imagen 3320 shows up as a
>laserwriter in chooser and Mac print jobs are spooled along with unix
>print jobs.  Works great.
>
>Thomas A. Gregg
>tgregg@mitre.org

...or you can use CAP's lwsrv for free, it does the same thing... I have 2
Imagen 3320's, a DEC LNO3R and a NCR SilentWriter (as well as many Apple
LaserWriter's) set up this way...
--moya

--Mike Moya
--Macintosh Systems and Networking
--Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University
--moyman@ecn.purdue.edu