[comp.protocols.appletalk] Appletalk phase 2, disappearing zones & cisco routers

ianh@resmel.bhp.com.au (Ian Hoyle) (05/30/91)

We are having a considerable problem here with zone information dropping out
of the chooser at random intervals.

The scenario:

a) Two Webster multiport gateways, one running transition ethertalk routing
   (hence our phase 2 network has a single net number range)
b) Two Kinetics fastpaths - phase 2 only
c) DEC VAX running LANworks (phase 2) and acting as the seeder
d) a cisco with phase 2 routing turned on. (an IGS running 8.2 rel 3)

I know I can't exhaustively provide the whole scoop here as to our network
setup, but ever since phase 2 routing was turned on in the cisco, problems
have turned up with *all* zones disappearing from the chooser on ethernet
connected macs (sometimes only a few disappear - this occurs if the Mac is
on phase 1 or 2).

Has this problem turned up elsewhere, and if so where should I start
looking to track this sucker down ?? I'm _very_ perplexed by what is
going on. I don't really want to hang a sniffer on my net and look at all
the packets :-) .....

	ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group

dees@sid.sps.mot.com (Randy Dees) (05/31/91)

In article <ianh.675588243@morgana>, ianh@resmel.bhp.com.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:
> d) a cisco with phase 2 routing turned on. (an IGS running 8.2 rel 3)
>
> I know I can't exhaustively provide the whole scoop here as to our network
> setup, but ever since phase 2 routing was turned on in the cisco, problems
> have turned up with *all* zones disappearing from the chooser on ethernet
> connected macs (sometimes only a few disappear - this occurs if the Mac is
> on phase 1 or 2).
>
> Has this problem turned up elsewhere, and if so where should I start
> looking to track this sucker down ?? I'm _very_ perplexed by what is
> going on. I don't really want to hang a sniffer on my net and look at all
> the packets :-) .....

when we enabled phase II appletalk with the 8.2 roms, we began experiencing
problems with data corruption of appletalk packets through the cisco.
it was obvious in ascii files that were copied from macs on one side
of the cisco to a remote appleshare server. binary files (applications)
would not work. it was real obvious using apple's disk maker program
that does a cecksum of the file.

     ___________     T1       ___________
     | cisco   |--------------| cisco   |
     |_________|              |_________|
           |                       |
mac--------|                       |-----appleshare server

randy dees
dees@sid.sps.mot.com
uunet!motsps!sid.sps.mot.com!dees

ianh@resmel.bhp.com.au (Ian Hoyle) (06/04/91)

ianh@resmel.bhp.com.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:

>We are having a considerable problem here with zone information dropping out
>of the chooser at random intervals.

[ a brief explanation ]

>Has this problem turned up elsewhere, and if so where should I start
>looking to track this sucker down ?? I'm _very_ perplexed by what is
>going on. I don't really want to hang a sniffer on my net and look at all
>the packets :-) .....

Well we have finally fixed our Appletalk zone dropout problems (a big thankyou
to all those people who responded).

It was a combination of several things, one *big* blooper was our fault the
other ... well we could have avoided it.

Since the Cisco configuration was done by our head office people who were
loath to let us get into the box we didn't really know how it was configured.
When we finally did gain password access we discovered much to our chagrin
that our Appletalk Zone  name had been misspelt. This effectively turns off
routing in the box and helped to explain the zone on the other side of the
cisco from not appearing.

However, this did not stop the zone dropouts.

After some judicious use of a packet sniffer looking at the RTMP/AARP packets
as they hit our routers and watching what they responded with the only
conclusion we could come to was:

"Get rid on non-seeding routers and hard wire zone names/address ranges on
ALL routers"

It was the only thing that we could think to try since the configurations
had been working prior to introducing the cisco. A big problem here was
probably power failures which allowed non-seeding routers to come to life
before seeding routers.

As an aside we have found the best diagnostic tool to be having laserwriters
in some of the localtalk zones set up as print queues on DEC Pathworks. The
VAX print subsystem constantly "tickles" the device to make sure that it is
alive which very quickly shows if any of the zones are disappearing.

All now seems to be well (famous last words :-)

	ian
--

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (06/06/91)

In article <ianh.675988855@morgana>, ianh@resmel.bhp.com.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:
> ianh@resmel.bhp.com.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:
>
> >We are having a considerable problem here with zone information dropping out
> >of the chooser at random intervals.
>
> [ a brief explanation ]
>
> It was a combination of several things, one *big* blooper was our fault the
> other ... well we could have avoided it.
>
> Since the Cisco configuration ... we discovered much to our chagrin
> that our Appletalk Zone  name had been misspelt. This effectively turns off
> routing in the box and helped to explain the zone on the other side of the
> cisco from not appearing.
>
> However, this did not stop the zone dropouts.
>
> After some judicious use of a packet sniffer looking at the RTMP/AARP packets
> as they hit our routers and watching what they responded with the only
> conclusion we could come to was:
>
> "Get rid on non-seeding routers and hard wire zone names/address ranges on
> ALL routers"

That is _A_ "solution" but doesn't describe the real cause of the
problem, which was:

1. The CISCO had a mis-spelt zone name configured into it.

2. The CISCO recognised this condition and supposedly disabled its
   EtherTalk Phase 2 interface as a result. At least it said it did.

3. Disabled or not, the CISCO was still sending AppleTalk RTMP
   (Routing Table Maintenance Packets) out the "disabled" interface.

4. Other routers on the network, receiving these RTMP packets and
   learning of "new" network numbers were trying (continuously -
   every 10 seconds or so) to find out the zone names by sending ZIP
   packets to the CISCO.

5. The CISCO had disabled the AARP protocol on EtherTalk, so it
   refused to respond to any AARP requests to resolve its address.
   All the other routers were stable, but "unsatisfied".

6. Every time a Mac on EtherTalk received an RTMP packet from the
   CISCO it would switch its "A-Router" pointer to point to the
   Cisco. It would then try to send "off-net" packets there, but
   then couldn't get the AARP requests resolved, and so the packets
   got dropped.

7. With 6 (or so) routers on Ethernet, this means that every time
   you open the Chooser there is a 15% chance of "A-Router" pointing
   to the CISCO, which would then refuse to answer the Chooser's
   request for a Zone List. So no zones visible in Mac Choosers
   (sometimes).

Talk about "calling attention to a configuration problem" :-) :-).
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  A.C.N. 004 818 455