[comp.protocols.appletalk] Phase 2 CAP question

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (06/04/91)

A CAP Phase 2 question. I cannot tell from the README whether or not I
will be able to use Phase 2 with our set-up here. I was wondering if
anyone could tell me what the story was.

My net looks like this:

---------       Net A            ---------    Net B    ----------
| Sun w/|========================| IP    |=============|Gatorbox|
|CAP and|         ||             |Gateway|     ||      |        |
|atalkad|         ||             |       |     ||      ----------
---------         ||             ---------     ||            |
               ----------                 ----------     -----------
               |Ethernet|                 |Ethernet|     |LocalTalk|
               |  Macs  |                 |  Macs  |     |  Macs   |
               ----------                 ----------     -----------

Initially, the only thing I would want Phase 2 for would be to talk to the
Macs on Net A. We are using IPTalk to communicate between the GatorBox and
the CAP server, and using atalkad to set up the Gatorbox. The IP gateway
only talks IP. Eventually, the IP Gateway will be able to route AppleTalk
Phase 2, so the Gatorbox will be relagated to communicating with the
LocalTalk Macs, and the Ethernet Macs on Net A and Net B would use Phase 2
directly to the CAP server. But can I use Phase 2 now, or must I wait until
we get rid of IPTalk?

Thanks,
pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.162649.12490@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:

> A CAP Phase 2 question. I cannot tell from the README whether or not I
> will be able to use Phase 2 with our set-up here. I was wondering if
> anyone could tell me what the story was.
>

> But can I use Phase 2 now, or must I wait until
> we get rid of IPTalk?

You'll have to ask Cayman, but from "theory", you should be able to
use IPTalk and EtherTalk Phase 2 together. Just treat IPTalk as a
"Non-Extended" network - just like LocalTalk is (and always will be).

Note that it may be wise NOT to use network-ranges and zone-lists on
EtherTalk Phase 2. Treat it as if you have a "Transition" network. The
point here is that (although you're not using it for this) IPTalk can
only handle Phase 1 routing information if you are sending packets
between routers (is there a word for this?) over IPTalk.

If you're only using IPTalk to connect to a nonrouting host or hosts
(like a CAP host) then it should work fine with "extended" Phase 2.

Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  A.C.N. 004 818 455