[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP printing problem with LaserWriter 7.0 driver

farrell@PANGEA.STANFORD.EDU (Phil Farrell) (06/06/91)

This is really an Apple LaserWriter driver or PostScript problem, not a
CAP problem, but it may be affecting other sites running CAP as well.
Any hints on this, or suggestions where else to post, would be
appreciated.

We just upgraded all the Macs on our network to use the new version 7.0
LaserWriter so we can be compatible with System 7.0.  We use CAP (still
5.0) to let our UNIX systems print to the LaserWriters as well.  One of
the popular UNIX applications for printing is the TeX typesetting
system.  We use the standard dvi2ps driver.  It inserts a "prologue" of
PostScript code before the actual converted document.  One part of that
prologue allows the use of \special commands in the TeX document to
insert PostScript figures into the TeX document.  This code would
redefine the standard Apple PostScript procedure "psu" to avoid some
problems when including figures made with MacDraw, etc.  This always
worked fine before when the LaserWriter was initialized with driver
version 5.2.  Now, whenever someone tries to include a PostScript
figure in their TeX document (triggering this section of the dvi2ps
PostScript code), the LaserWriter initialized with driver version 7.0
quits, claiming that "psu" is undefined.

I captured the PostScript from printing from a Mac with the LaserWriter
7.0 driver and I can see that there is in fact a "psu" procedure.  Yet
somehow, a LaserWriter that has been initialized with this driver
thinks that "psu" is undefined when our UNIX box comes along and tries
to re-define it.  I really don't know PostScript at all, so I am not
sure what LaserWriter 7.0 is doing differently with "psu" that is
creating this problem.  Anyone have any ideas?  E-mail or post as
desired.  Thanks.

-Phil Farrell, Computer Systems Manager Stanford University School of
Earth Sciences farrell@pangea.stanford.edu

liam@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (06/06/91)

In <9106052350.AA01577@pangea.Stanford.EDU> farrell@PANGEA.STANFORD.EDU (Phil
Farrell) writes:

>We use the standard dvi2ps driver.  ... This code would
>redefine the standard Apple PostScript procedure "psu" to avoid some
>problems when including figures made with MacDraw, etc.  This always
>worked fine before when the LaserWriter was initialized with driver
>version 5.2.  Now, whenever someone tries to include a PostScript
>figure in their TeX document (triggering this section of the dvi2ps
>PostScript code), the LaserWriter initialized with driver version 7.0
>quits, claiming that "psu" is undefined.

Apple do not encourage people to "second guess" their LaserPrep files, and
they have no qualms about changing the organisation of major functions
whenever they feel like it.

This problem is entirely due ot dvi2ps and so you should post it to one of the
TeX related newsgroups.
--

% William Roberts                 Internet:  liam@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
% Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP:      liam@qmw-dcs.UUCP