[comp.protocols.appletalk] Cap60/NFS Prob Update

Chris_McNeil@MACSMTP.CSD.UNB.CA (Chris McNeil) (05/29/91)

I posted a message about problems with using an NFS volume as a CAP volume. The
problem is that my mac locks up when accessing the CAP volume.
Details - NFS mounted volume ( IBM3090 MVS running MVS NFS) (Don't ask)
CAP Server- SUN Sparc Server 470 running Sun OS 4.1

Solution - Everyone seems to agree that I need to turn off file locking for
this to work. But How ?

I commented out the lines in m4.setup that deal with file locking and remake
CAP from scratch. The problem persists. If I look in the messages file on my
SUN I see the following error message everytime I try to copy a file to the
volume.

-May 29 10:42:09 jupiter vmunix: lock-manager: RPC error:(18)RPC:(unknown error
code)

So How to I turn Off the lock-manager ?

Also thanks to all who replied to my original question.

Chris McNeil
cjm@unb.ca

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (06/06/91)

In article <Added.kcEv_PC00UkTE=UE9g@andrew.cmu.edu>,
Chris_McNeil@MACSMTP.CSD.UNB.CA (Chris McNeil) writes:
> I posted a message about problems with using an NFS volume as a CAP volume.
The
> problem is that my mac locks up when accessing the CAP volume.
> Details - NFS mounted volume ( IBM3090 MVS running MVS NFS) (Don't ask)
> CAP Server- SUN Sparc Server 470 running Sun OS 4.1

Correct me if I am wrong.  But doesn't the spec for NFS say that you cannot re
advertise/mount a mounted NFS volume?  Or does CAP just not care if the volume
that it is advertising is a remote volume?

What you ought to do is just purchase someones NFS client for the Mac.  Then
you could just mount the NFS volume directly off of the IBM.

(See Wollogong, or InterCon for clients)

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh