[comp.protocols.appletalk] IBM's NCSATelnet on Appletalk Help.

carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au (05/25/91)

Hi there,

I have a problem that I hope some one can help with.

We have an appletalk network connecting macs and IBM's together then connecting
across to an Ethernet via a fastpath to a Vax then the world through Internet.
We use NCSA Telnet on the macs with great success, and I have downloaded
NCSA Telnet for the IBM's which we run AppletalkPC cards.  The probelm is I
can't
get the IBM version of NCSA Telnet to work with the Appletalk cards, is there
a fix to this ?

Thanks in advance.

PS I have been able to get Ka9q to work but it won't give me VT100 emulation
perhaps there is a fix to this problem ?--

 *__ |\  John Carson                   \   Ph:       (089)466207
 -  -  \  Northern Territory University \  Fax:      (089)466454
/       \ PO Box 40146,CASUARINA,NT,0811 \ Inter: Carson@post.ntu.edu.au
\_.--.__/ Australia.  			  \or: Carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au
       v            "Darwin the Paradise of the North"

sms@dou.dk (Sven Meiborg Sorensen) (05/27/91)

Carson,
I also had some difficulty in getting NCSA Telnet running on my PC
- but the solution was quite simple in my case. With AppleShare PC 2.0 you get
a small program called COMPAT.COM which should be executed by
your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Telnet will then run with a simple CONFIG.TEL
looking something like the following:
   hardware=AppleTalk
   myip=RARP
   netmask=255.255.0.0
plus some session and gateway info.

Feel free to write directly to me if you need further info.

Sven.

Sven Meiborg Sorensen     Internet: sms@dou.dk
Senior Analyst
Odense University, Denmark

bear@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael D. Bear) (05/29/91)

	I also have this problem, I found that NCSA won't work with any packet
drivers that aren't Ethernet.  I tried KA9Q with limited success.  We use
Cayman boxes with all dynamic addressing so we can't give KA9Q the permanent
address it needs.

	If anyone knows of ANY other telnet/ftp that would work with
localtalk-equipped PCs, please let me know.

--
Michael D. Bear                  bear@andy.bgsu.edu
Computer Technician              ..!osu-cis!bgsuvax!syrinx!root

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (06/06/91)

In article <7487@bgsuvax.UUCP>, bear@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael D. Bear) writes:
> 	If anyone knows of ANY other telnet/ftp that would work with
> localtalk-equipped PCs, please let me know.

We sell a version of NCSA called TCP/Connect PC, that will allow you to use the
AppleTalk card.  The only thing is I don't believe that we support V2 yet.  If
you give our sales people a call they will help you out.  But make sure that
you specifically tell them that you want it for AppleTalk use.

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh