[comp.protocols.appletalk] Printer Access Protocol

rastroob@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Richard A. Stroobosscher) (06/05/91)

I am interesting in writing a server application on a Mac that looks
like a printer to the rest of the world.  I have read the 'Inside
AppleTalk' manual and have decided that this server should talk
PAP (printer access protocol) to the rest of the world.  This looks
easy.  However, I have not been able to locate the include files or
libraries that implement PAP.  Are these publicly available or must
they be ordered from ADAP?

Thanks.

R. Stroobosscher
University of Waterloo
Computer Graphics Laboratory

bell@apple.com (Mike Bell) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.143818.17823@watcgl.waterloo.edu>,
rastroob@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Richard A. Stroobosscher) writes:
> From: rastroob@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Richard A. Stroobosscher)
> Newsgroups: comp.protocols.appletalk
> Subject: Printer Access Protocol (PAP)
> Date: 5 Jun 91 14:38:18 GMT
>
> I am interesting in writing a server application on a Mac that looks
> like a printer to the rest of the world.  I have read the 'Inside
> AppleTalk' manual and have decided that this server should talk
> PAP (printer access protocol) to the rest of the world.  This looks
> easy.  However, I have not been able to locate the include files or
> libraries that implement PAP.  Are these publicly available or must
> they be ordered from ADAP?
>
> Thanks.
>
> R. Stroobosscher
> University of Waterloo
> Computer Graphics Laboratory

          There seems to be a great interest in PAP spoolers all of a sudden,
and this is becoming a frequently asked question (probably because it's a good
one.....).  Unfortunately, the answer is that there are no libraries available
that implement server PAP calls. In order to write such a spooler, you would
have to do what others have already done; create your own PAP library that sits
on top of ATP. PAP really is a simple protocol, and the task really isn't as
difficult as it may sound.

                     Mike

Mike Bell											email: bell@apple.com
MacDTS
Apple Computer, Inc.
20525 Mariani Ave.
Cupertino, CA 95014

cremer@Apple.COM (Mike Cremer) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.143818.17823@watcgl.waterloo.edu>
rastroob@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Richard A. Stroobosscher) writes:
> However, I have not been able to locate the include files or
> libraries that implement PAP.

I do not believe there is any "official" implementation of PAP (i.e.,
MPW interfaces and library routines).  You will have to write your
own PAP service.  However, since PAP sits on top of ATP, and has only
a few commands, this shouldn't be too difficult.  A good test of a PAP
implementation is to have a Macintosh attempt to print to it.

$mike cremer
Apple Computer, Inc.