[comp.protocols.appletalk] Dealing with crashed AppleShare servers

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (06/13/91)

	We're running AppleShare 2.0.1 on an SE/30 over LocalTalk with a
variety of clients running 6.0.[567].  Many of the clients have the "mount
automatically on reboot" boxes checked in the chooser for the server's
disks.  The problem is that if the server has crashed (which seems to
happen periodically), the clients just hang when they are rebooted.  If you
disconnect the client from the network while it reboots, it comes up fine.

	Is there anyway to keep the clients from hanging in the face of a
crashed server other than isolating them from the network?  The stuff on
the server is not essential, but it's used commonly enough that it's
convenient to auto-mount.  Is there some way to specify "try to automount
on reboot, but timeout after 15 seconds" or some such?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

todd_strauch@med.umich.edu (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.183719.16226@phri.nyu.edu> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy
Smith) writes:

>        We're running AppleShare 2.0.1 on an SE/30 over LocalTalk with a
>variety of clients running 6.0.[567].  Many of the clients have the "mount
>automatically on reboot" boxes checked in the chooser for the server's
>disks.  The problem is that if the server has crashed (which seems to
>happen periodically), the clients just hang when they are rebooted.  If you
>disconnect the client from the network while it reboots, it comes up fine.
>
>        Is there anyway to keep the clients from hanging in the face of a
>crashed server other than isolating them from the network?  The stuff on
>the server is not essential, but it's used commonly enough that it's
>convenient to auto-mount.  Is there some way to specify "try to automount
>on reboot, but timeout after 15 seconds" or some such?

Not finding an Appleshare volume on bootup should not cause your client
machines to hang.  There will be a pause as Appleshare on the client machines
makes several attempts to connect to the servers, but the client Appleshare
will give up after a brief time period (10 seconds or so).  A list of your
common cdevs and inits might be enlightening.