[comp.protocols.appletalk] number of processes problem?

hal@ditmela.mel.dit.csiro.au (Harold A. Miller) (06/17/91)

Here I go, making a fool of myself again.  I just don't have the time to
keep up with this list along with everything else .......

I seem to have hit an upper limit on the number of CAP processes we can run.
We have a relatively simple setup: one Multigate (using 3 of it's 4 ports),
and about half a dozen Macs, mostly IIs, with 4 printers.  We run timelord,
aarpd, atis, and use aufs.  I had 4 lwsrv's running, and have increased it to
7 (two are remote, and spool things through Sun /etc/printcap, the other 5
have printers attached).  We run everything in one zone, except that all
ethernet stuff is run in a separate zone (a couple ethertalk Mac IIs, and the
Sun running enet CAP).  I've replicated the problem on CAP 5.0 and 6.0.

When all the above is running, nothing happens.  Kill one process, any one of
them, and all the rest work fine.  Same thing if you use atlook--just count it
as another process.  All works until you hit the "magic number".

Did we overlook something glaringly obvious?  It would seem we did, but I
haven't been able to find it :-(

Thanks in advance.  All advice gratefully accepted.
HM
--
|Hal Miller, DIT, CSIRO, | Networking Environments Project               |
|723 Swanston St. Carlton| (TEL) +61 3 282 2628   (FAX) +61 3 282 2600   |

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.044836.14114@mel.dit.csiro.au>, hal@ditmela.mel.dit.csiro.au (Harold A. Miller) writes:

> I seem to have hit an upper limit on the number of CAP processes we can run.
> We have a relatively simple setup: one Multigate (using 3 of it's 4 ports),
> and about half a dozen Macs, mostly IIs, with 4 printers.  We run timelord,
> aarpd, atis, and use aufs.  I had 4 lwsrv's running, and have increased it to
> 7...

My guess is that you might have run into atis' hardwired limit of 20
entries in its name table. Look for "#define NUMNVE 20" in "nisaux.c".
Also do an "atlook" (when it works) - anywhere near 20 entries?

Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  A.C.N. 004 818 455