[comp.protocols.appletalk] SLIP version of Telnet always hangs...

mazu@DMI.USherb.CA (Marc Mazuhelli) (06/17/91)

Hi there,

Sorry for the crossposting, but this is kind of related to both
sections...

A few days ago I finally found the cisco version of NCSA Telnet that
works with SLIP (or at least it almost works...).

My problem is that I can open a connection, logon to a Unix machine
and type a few commands, but all of a sudden the connection hangs (no
echo of my input and no output).  It always hangs when I issue a
command that should give more than a few lines of output (like an
ls -l in a directory with about 20 files).  Sometimes it even hangs on
a command that gives only a few caracters of output (like pwd).

I tried it from home on a 2400bps modem and I saw the recv light flash
repetitively, as if it was re-sending the info that should appear on
my screen, but nothing ever appears.

I also tried it from work on a hard-wired connection at 9600 or
19200bps and the same thing happened.

When it happens, I can always open other connections but they will
eventually hang like the first one.

I'm using an Annex III terminal server from Xylogics - it supports SLIP.
It works with a PC program (NOS I think - I'm not the one who tested it)
so it shouldn't be the Annex's fault.

I'm so close I can almost feel it... I would be *very* grateful if someone
could help me with this problem...

Thank you for your help.

--
{  Marc Mazuhelli                 |  analyste resp. des labs d'info }
{  internet: mazu@dmi.USherb.CA   |  Departement de math-info.      }

bartont@next2.msci.memst.edu (Tom Barton) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.025643.3492@DMI.USherb.CA> mazu@DMI.USherb.CA (Marc Mazuhelli) writes:
>A few days ago I finally found the cisco version of NCSA Telnet that
>works with SLIP (or at least it almost works...).
>
>My problem is that I can open a connection, logon to a Unix machine
>and type a few commands, but all of a sudden the connection hangs (no
>echo of my input and no output).
> ... deleted material ...

The config.tel file that accompanies the Cisco version of NCSA Telnet has
improper values set for the mss, mtu, and rwin parameters. There are many
permissible settings which can slightly affect performance and which depend in
part on the mtu setting on the SLIP server to which you are connecting.
However, a value of 512 for all three parameters is consistent and a
reasonable guess in your circumstances. Since you are using 2400 baud, I'd
guess that if it still does not work, adjusting the values downward to 256 may
bring success. I hope this helps.

--
Tom Barton			       Internet: bartont@next2.msci.memst.edu
Department of Math Sciences	         Bitnet: bartont@memstvx1