[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP

cpd@CS.UCLA.EDU (Charles Dolan) (05/11/87)

To: info-appletalk#@andrew.cmu.edu

Please excuse this, the second posting of this request, but this digest got
lost in the mail for a few weeks, and I missed any replies which were made.

I have been trying to bring up CAP on our Suns using a Fastpath 2.  I have
a couple of questions for people who have gotten it work.  Is the gateway
code referred to in the CAP documentation the same as the apple talk gateway
code supplied with the Fastpath.  Also, the software seems to need a file
called 'atalk.local' and I can find neither it nor a description of its
format in the documentation.

Thanks
-Charlie Dolan

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (03/27/88)

Where can I get CAP?  I have heard quite a bit about it.  We are wanting to
set up a file server system, and this could be a possible solution.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Michael Niehaus
Ball State University
UUCP: ..!{uunet,pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas

dd@ariel.unm.edu (dd) (12/06/89)

Finally I am ready to begin to implement CAP and AUFS and all that
neat stuff.  Two questions:

[1] Where can I get all of this again, please?

[2] I use Kinetics KFPS4 boxes.  Is there anyone out there that
would be willing to be a mentor for me with respect to the proper
configuration of these beasts to achieve connectivity through them?

Thanks in advance.

--
Don Doerner				dd@ariel.unm.edu
University of New Mexico CIRT

SOLOMON@MIS.ARIZONA.EDU (Monty Solomon) (11/27/90)

I'm looking for CAP for the NeXT.  Does anyone here know if it exists and
if so, where it is archived?

Thanks.

Monty

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.215328.2349@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> trier@po.CWRU.Edu writes:
>We're looking at using CAP for file sharing, in circumstances where the CAP
>users do not necessarily have Unix accounts on the CAP server.  The ru-cap2

How about installing a guest usage option in the next version of CAP?  Also
we would VERY much like to see somebody port the Ethertalk drivers to Ultrix.
We currently have an old Microvax II with some surplus SMD drives acting as
our Mac server, and the speed improvement of direct Ethertalk would be very
much welcome.
--scott

trier@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.134454.11930@news.larc.nasa.gov> kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) writes:
>How about installing a guest usage option in the next version of CAP?

Rutgers CAP has such an option.  Check man/aufs.8 in the ru-cap2
distribution.  It's "-G <username>", where username is a low-privilege
Unix userid for your Appletalk guest users.

--
Stephen Trier                              Case Western Reserve University
Work: trier@cwlim.ins.cwru.edu             Information Network Services

ron@xwind.UUCP (Ronald P. Hughes) (03/06/91)

Has anyone ported CAP (Columbia's AppleTalk Package) to A/UX?
In particular, I am interested in running the AppleShare server
side to provide file storage for the Macs (running MacOS) we have
here in the office.  We have installed AppleTalk (Version 2.0) for
A/UX, which provides a programming interface to the AppleTalk
protocols, so it seems to me that the lower levels provided by
Apple could be used instead of the lower CAP protocols.

The gory details:  MacIIx running A/UX 1.1.1 (soon to be 2.0.1),
AppleTalk 2.0, Apple Ethernet card (REV K, 16 kbytes) (AppleTalk
running over builtin LocalTalk (serial) port), /usr/lib/mac/*
about to be upgraded to System 6.0.5.

Thanks for any replies,

Ronald P. Hughes		ron@xwind.com  (or ...!uunet!xwind!ron)
CrossWind Technologies, Inc.	408-335-4988
ScudNet: 37 02 N, 122 05 W

winborne@physics.unc.edu (George Winborne) (06/19/91)

I just had to say thanks to all those who have ever contributed to CAP.
I have just installed CAP6.0 with all 27 patches. It was the easiest
install yet and it works great!  The Phase2 support support will save us so much time,trouble and $$. I am also very proud and glad to be able to use a package that is truly a community effort.
My hat is off to all the CAP authors, testers, patchers, etc.

George Winborne
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy
University Of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3255