[comp.protocols.appletalk] Aufs .finderinfo, .resource, and a MacTCP question

j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu (Jon Whalen) (06/18/91)

AppleTalk Wizards:

Two questions:

1) We're running Aufs (CAP 6.0) on a Sparc 1+ running SunOS 4.1.0. It works ok
except that occasionally we get an error message saying something to the effect
of "You have in sufficient permission to ..." when we try to copy or delete
files.

Now I looked, and the .finderinfo and .resource directories are being created,
and right now they always give global read, write, and execute permission.
So I fail to understand how anyone could have insufficient permission.

It may be of value to note that I have a .afpvols file in my home directory
and I haven't encountered the problem, but other users who simply default
to their home directories *do* have the problem. Although, as I said, the
permissions and ownership of the .finderinfo and .resource directories
appear to be correct. Any clues anyone?

2) Second question, we seem to be having a problem with MacTCP and
"phantom" IP addresses. For some reason, after upgrading a couple of our
macs to Sys7, MacTCP no longer worked, even though VM was off, and the
cdev was located in the system folder proper, with an alias in the control
panels folder.

I traced the problem to the IP address. When I changed it to one of the
previously unused IP addresses, everything worked fine. (I should note
that we use hardwired IP addresses.) Now I suspected that maybe two of
the Macs were claiming the same IP address, but I checked and they all
seem to have unique addresses. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanx in advance!
--jon
 Jon Whalen @ U. of Notre Dame | At the moment, I have absolutely nothing to
 j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu | say. (Which is probably for the best.)

nelson@vulcan.mgmt.purdue.edu (J. Nelson Howell) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.143452.3301@news.nd.edu> j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu (Jon Whalen) writes:
>AppleTalk Wizards:
>
>Two questions:
>
>1) We're running Aufs (CAP 6.0) on a Sparc 1+ running SunOS 4.1.0. It works ok
>except that occasionally we get an error message saying something to the effect
>of "You have in sufficient permission to ..." when we try to copy or delete
>files.
>
>Now I looked, and the .finderinfo and .resource directories are being created,
>and right now they always give global read, write, and execute permission.
>So I fail to understand how anyone could have insufficient permission.

CAP wants to have permission to access a .finderinfo and .resource directory
in the directory ABOVE the AFP volume directory.

>It may be of value to note that I have a .afpvols file in my home directory
>and I haven't encountered the problem, but other users who simply default
>to their home directories *do* have the problem. Although, as I said, the
>permissions and ownership of the .finderinfo and .resource directories
>appear to be correct. Any clues anyone?

Look to see if you also have a .resource and .finderinfo directory in your
home directory.  My bet is that you do.  Have your users move their files
down a directory and add these directories (world writeable) or create
these directories in the directory above their home directory (not as
recommended)

This is documented somewhere.  I remembered seeing it when I was told, but I
haven't been able to relocate it.

--

J. Nelson Howell                       | System Programmer
nelson@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu  Internet | Krannert Graduate School of Management

math1h3@ELROY.UH.EDU (David H. Wagner) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun18.143452.3301@news.nd.edu>, j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu (Jon Whalen) writes:
>AppleTalk Wizards:
>
>Two questions:
>
>1) We're running Aufs (CAP 6.0) on a Sparc 1+ running SunOS 4.1.0. It works ok
>except that occasionally we get an error message saying something to the effect
>of "You have in sufficient permission to ..." when we try to copy or delete
>files.
>
>Now I looked, and the .finderinfo and .resource directories are being created,
>and right now they always give global read, write, and execute permission.
>So I fail to understand how anyone could have insufficient permission.

1.  Are the .finderinfo and .resource directories in the directories
where the files are to be written?

2.  You also need to have .ADeskTop and .IDeskTop files in each directory
that is to serve as an Aufs *volume*.

David H. Wagner
DWagner@uh.edu