[comp.protocols.appletalk] Summary: CAP and Dayna Etherprint

charles@sdd.hp.com (Charles Keith) (06/26/91)

elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (George Winborne) says:

>Will lwsrv and papif (new CAP6.0 & patches to 27) work with one of those
>Dayna EtherPrint devices which lets you hang a LaserWriter straight off of
>EtherNet? I suppose that it should work but I'd like to know before I buy
>one.

Hmmm. Time to post a summary of responses to my query...
And a sincere thanks to all who responded.

->Charles

In article <1991Jun19.173044.22186@sdd.hp.com> I wrote:

Can CAP be used with the Dayna EtherPrint box to drive AppleTalk
printers from a Unix box? (No Macs involved).  I need to do this
as a means of testing AppleTalk printers and the price of the
Dayna (< $400) seems unbeatable.  Any other experiences with the
EtherPrint?  How is the throughput?

-------------response 1:---------------

I briefly tested CAP with EtherPrint - worked fine - no reason not to!

We recently converted 13 printers from using 3 FastPaths to 13
EtherPrints, all under AppleTalk Phase 1.  The EPs work great - we are
printing through them using both Macs and SunTOPS.

One item to watch out for - Dayna has upgraded the ROMs a few times
already.  Apparently, there are some bugs in 1.0 thru 1.2 - we have a
bunch with 1.3 ROMs.  Newer EPs come with simple Mac software to set
Phase 2 zones and query EP ROM version & Ethernet address.

Can't comment on throughput - haven't noticed anything grossly worse or better.

Most of the printers we converted were Apple LW II NTX, one LW II NT,
one QMS ColorScript 100/10.  I'm having trouble with a Kodak 7016 PS -
works fine on "direct" PhoneNet connection, refuses to work with
FastPath or EtherPrint.  I think this is a Kodak bug.

-------------response 2:---------------

I've just recently gone down this track and I've found that it works well.
We've been running one with only Macs for about two months now and we have had
no problems.  Previously we were running the Apple Internet router which did
have some problems.  I'm also now successfully running Cap6.0 on a Sun IPC with
ethertalk encapsulation.  We're running two different printers, one a
Laserwriter-IINtx the other a Gestetner GLP800. I have had no difficulty in
either setting them up or communicating with them (as opposed to lwsrv which
crapped out on one of applications).

Throughput seem to be limited by the printer and not by the network - there's
no noticable difference in printing speed since I've changed to the EtherPrint.
In fact I'm so happy with them that I'm going to get at third.  It seems to be
the best way to connect a printer to the ethernet that I've seen. (You're not
relying on a Mac being up all the time to serve the printer)

peter@audrey.sait.edu.au

-------------response 3:---------------

Yup, no problem.  I'm running Rutgers CAP here, on a DECstation 5000,
and printing to LaserWriters with Dayna EtherPrint -- works great.

The box is very good.  It's not the limiting factor in throughput to
the printer; the printer itself is slow enough for that!  :-)

tih@barsoom.nhh.no

I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it shouldn't work, though of course
you'll have to run CAP with EtherTalk rather than IP encapsulation.  As for
the EtherPrint, I have two of them installed at customer sites, and we've had
no problems with them -- they just sit there and do what they're supposed to.

rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu

--
Charles Keith M/S 60U25     Telnet: 592-4472
Hewlett-Packard Co.         UUCP: {hplabs|ucsd|hpfcla}!hp-sdd!charles