[comp.protocols.appletalk] ethernet <-> multiple localtalks gateway

sherwood@nstn.ns.ca (John Sherwood) (06/28/91)

Somewhere I remember seeing (or dreaming about) a box that gateways
four localtalk segments to an ethernet. Was I dreaming? Can someone
point me in the right direction? Or will I need 4 more FastPath's?

Thanks
John Sherwood
Dalhousie University
sherwood@ac.dal.ca

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (06/29/91)

I looked at my specs sheet for the EtherRoute gateway (from Compatible
Systems?) and it has 2 LocalTalk ports; claims to do full routing between
them. 2 is not quite 4, but EtherRoute is about 3 times cheaper than the
Multigate, so you may want to look at it.

By the way, let me ask for experiences again (last time I did, the response
was quite underwhelming); could you please describe real-life experiences
(if any :-) with:

1) EtherRoute

2) Asante 12 port 10Base-T hub

3) Asante external (SCSI) E-net adapters?

Even laconic "works fine" / "stay away from it" replies will be deeply
appreciated!

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

kanishka@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (07/01/91)

In article <8042@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) writes:
> In article <1991Jun28.153300.4108@nstn.ns.ca>, sherwood@nstn.ns.ca (John Sherwood) writes:
>>Somewhere I remember seeing (or dreaming about) a box that gateways
>>four localtalk segments to an ethernet. Was I dreaming? Can someone
>>point me in the right direction? Or will I need 4 more FastPath's?
>>
> There are two such devices; the Webster Multiport and the Tri-Data Maxway 500.
> The latter is more expensive, but has a few more options, including the ability

We have been using a Webster Multiport (1 ethernet <--> 4 localtalk,
supports appletalk phase 1 and 2, tcp/ip, iptalk for CAP compatibility) for
the past 6 months - we are quite happy with it's performance. After sales
support has also been very good. Contact info:

	Natalie Logan, Network Products Sales Manager
	Webster Computer Corporation
	2109 O'Tolle Ave Suite J
	San Jose CA 95131-1303

	(408) 954-8054, or (800) 457-0903

Just a very satisfied customer...
--
Kanishka de Lanerolle <kanishka@hawk.cs.ukans.edu>
University of Kansas Computer Science Department