[comp.ai.digest] text critiquing redux

bnevin@CCH.BBN.COM (Bruce Nevin) (04/21/87)

The following is a copy of some correspondance which took place between
an editor and a Mr. Lewis Carroll:

Dear Mr. Carroll,
The publisher has  referred to me your latest  work,  a poem
called "Jabberwocky," for editing.  "Jabberwocky" seems rife
with  misspellings and  typos;  I  assumed  that these  were
unintentional and the fault of your typist.
Fortunately,  we have recently purchased PROFS (Professional
Office  Systems),   a  new  IBM   package  that  includes  a
sophisticated  proofreader  and   spelling  checker.    This
program is  able to  guess quite accurately  as to  what the
misspelled word may actually be.  PROFS also offers synonyms
and  alternatives for  words,  and  it  can note  redundant,
awkward or wordy phrases.
I have  run "Jabberwocky"  through this  program.   Granted,
your obvious intent is to produce a work of fantasy, so I've
taken some  of your  proper nouns  to be  creations of  your
imagination.
Certain words,  however,  weren't clear.   For example,  the
first line of your original text read:   "Twas brillig,  and
the slithy toves."   The only words recognized  by the PROFS
proofreader were "and the."
When I hit  a key marked "aid,"  I get a list  of what PROFS
construes to be possible spellings of a flagged word.   With
"slithy,"  PROFS came  up with  slithery,  slimy,   slither,
slimly, silty,  slinky,  and slight.   Your typist must have
inadvertently dropped the  "er" from "slithery" and  come up
with the nonsense "slithy."  Of course,  I fixed the word to
say "slithery."
And so  it goes.   I continued  to make repairs as  I deemed
fit.   But Mr.  Carroll, the mistakes were not always clear.
For example, in the first verse your text read:   "All mimsy
were  the borogoves."   The computer  thought  that you  had
meant to say:   "All misty were the bongoes," but bongoes is
a far shot from borogoves.  What did you mean by borogoves?
In  the  second  verse,   you warn  to  "shun  the  frumious
Bandersnatch!"   "Frumious" is  obviously  a misspelling  of
"furious";   however,  I  have no  idea  as to  just what  a
Bandersnatch  might   be.    Our   computer  has   suggested
"Ballerinas," but I suspect that you had something better in
mind.
Mr.  Carroll, I've edited many fantasies, so I must warn you
that I am familiar with all forms of sword,  be they elfish,
dwarfish or otherwise.   I have already heard of the "vorpal
sword"  you mentioned  in verse  three.   It  seems to  have
gained  popularity among  role-playing game  enthusiasts,(1)
but I'm  not sure its  reference is appropriate  here.   The
computer certainly doesn't have "vorpal"  in its memory,  so
I'm not sure that the public would appreciate your using the
word.    I have  let the  computer  substitute "verbal"  for
"vorpal," and I believe that you  will find the result has a
nice ring to it.
Some of  the other  gems that  your secretary  came up  with
include an "uffish" thought,  "whiffling" when you certainly
meant "waffling," and  some sort of wood.   She  called it a
"tulgey wood."  Again  the computer came through:    Did you
mean "turkey wood?"   Admittedly,  the computer had  quite a
time with  "turkey wood";  it  insisted that it  should have
been "turkey would."  But that would have been nonsense.   A
good editor shouldn't be afraid to override a computer.
When I first saw the word "chortled" I was sure that you had
made  it  up!(2)   The  computer didn't  flag  it  as  being
misspelled,   but it  couldn't  offer  any synonyms  for  it
either.   On looking it up, I was amused to discover that it
was meant to be a cross between a chuckle and a snort.   How
clever of you to find it!
Well, enough criticism.   I'm sure your poem is salvageable.
It's a pity, though,  that even "cleaned up" this poem would
be far too difficult for children to read.   One function of
the PROFS proofreader is to check the comprehension level of
a word.  I'm afraid that some of the words you use are level
16,  i.e.,  a person would have  to be a graduate student or
better to  understand the word.    That's too  bad,  because
there's quite a market for children's verse.
Anyway,  I've  underlined the  unrecognizable words  in your
original and I'm  returning it to you.    I've also enclosed
the result of my collaboration with the computer;  I believe
that you  will find  the corrected  version to  be pleasing,
understandable and in keeping with your reputation.   Let me
know what you think.   I hope  you understand that there are
few publishers out  there who care to take the  time to work
with promising authors.
Yours truly,
xxxxx xxxxxx
--------------------
(1) To "Dungeons and Dragons" players,  a "vorpal sword" has
the power to sever limbs when the player rolls 18 or higher.
The word is a Carroll creation.
(2) "Chortle," a word coined by Carroll,  has worked its way
into standard dictionaries.

JABBERWOCKY
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
----- -------          ------ -----
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    ----     ------        ----
All mimsy were the borogoves,
    -----          ---------
And the mome raths outgrabe.
        ---- ----- --------
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
            ----------
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
           ------
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
    -------- ------------
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
            ------
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
              -------
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
                    ------
And stood awhile in thought
And, as in uffish thought he stood,
           ------
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    ----------
Came wiffling through the tulgey wood,
     --------             ------
And burbled as it came!
One, two!  One, two!  And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    ------
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.
        ----------
"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
     ----
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
                    -------
O frabjous day!  Callooh!  Callay!"
  --------       -------   ------
He chortled in his joy.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
----- -------          ------ -----
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    ----     ------        ----
All mimsy were the borogoves,
    -----          ---------
And the mome raths outgrabe.
        ---- ----- --------

JABBERWHACKY
'Twas broiling, and the slithery toes
Did gore and gimlet in the wave:
All misty were the bongoes,
And the mole rats outraged.
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The furious Ballerinas!"
He took his verbal sword in hand:
Long time the meantime foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought
And, as in iffiest thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came waffling through the turkey wood,
And burbled as it came!
One, two!  One, two!  And through and through
The verbal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galloping back.
"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beaming boy!
O fabulous day!  Callooh!  Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.
'Twas broiling, and the slithery toes
Did gore and gimlet in the wave:
All misty were the bongoes,
And the mole rats outraged.

[For the record, a mailer history (in reverse order):
From: Jack Allen 381-2141 <allen%clt.DEC@decwrl.dec.com>
Date: Friday, 17 Apr 1987 06:43:02-PDT
From:	DSSDEV::EPPES "her shoes were full of feet
From:	ABACUS::WOOD "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane  16-Apr-1987