[comp.ai.digest] writing style checkers

todd@humu.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (05/04/87)

From: todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Subject: Re: AIList Digest   V5 #95
Date: 24 Apr 87 01:25:22 GMT

In article <12295086246.19.HAYES@SPAR-20.ARPA> HAYES@SPAR-20.ARPA writes:
>Let me briefly add a seconding voice to Linda Means comments on the horrible
>output of the style-criticising programs illustrated a while ago.  That
>people should suggest using such things to influence children almost makes
>me agree with Weizenbaum.
...[comment that it couldn't be good if it runs on a PC was here]
>and superficial rules in a context-insensitive fashion.  Any kid who was
>'taught' by one of these would quickly learn these rules. A few experiences
>like this, though, and (s)he would learn that most problems are solved by
>applying a few superficial rules without any need for deeper thinking, which is
>a worse and more dangerous lesson.

I think that we have two extreme views here.  I agree that the style
checkers available for microcomputers are not very sophisticated.  I also
agree that such tools should not be used exclusively to teach children
(or any other age group for that matter).   However, to say that these
microcomputer based style checkers have no place in teaching children
to write in not correct.   I think that if these style checking tools
are used in conjunction with the efforts of a good teacher of writing,
then these style checkers are of great benefit.  It is better that
children learn a few rules of writing to start with than no rules at
all.  Of course, reading lots of good examples of writing and a good
teacher are still necessary.  [And no, I don't claim to be a good writer :-)]

On another level... I happened to discuss my response above with one
of my dissertation committee members.  His reaction?  He pulled out
a recent thesis proposal filled with red pencil marks (mostly
grammatical remarks) and said, "So what if the style checkers are
superficial?  Most mistakes are superficial.  Better that the style
checker should find these things than me."

Todd, Ogasawara
-- PhD. Psychology 1987 (if the phase of the moon is right, I cross
			 my fingers enough, etc. :-)

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd