[comp.ai.digest] Style checkers

gilbert@aimmi.UUCP.UUCP (05/06/87)

In article <8704250321.AA15773@uhmanoa.ICS.HAWAII.EDU> todd@humu.UUCP
  (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:
>In article <12295086246.19.HAYES@SPAR-20.ARPA> HAYES@SPAR-20.ARPA writes:
>>Let me briefly add a seconding voice to Linda Means comments on the horrible
>>output of the style-criticising programs illustrated a while ago.  That
>>people should suggest using such things to influence children almost makes
>>me agree with Weizenbaum.
>I think that we have two extreme views here.  I agree that the style
>checkers available for microcomputers are not very sophisticated.  I also
>agree that such tools should not be used exclusively to teach children
>(or any other age group for that matter).   However, to say that these
>microcomputer based style checkers have no place in teaching children
>to write in not correct.

A few simple grammatical rules (concord, apostrophes, tense structure,
clausal agreement), as these style checkers stand, you are most incorrect -
and I am even more surprised at such comments when they come from a psychology
grad - unless you're doing AI or rat research that is in which case
you're probably a long way from mainstream psychology:-).

The problem with most checkers is that the rules they embody have
often just been made up by technical writing pundits. As long as they
stick to indoctrinating those engineers and other culturally deprived students
WHO NEED HELP WITH THEIR WRITING (not all do), I don't mind - they probably do
improve the writing of some people from dreadful and unintelligible to
ugly and constipated :-).

However, the minute their jibberish is proposed as something for the
whole school population, then the authority of the armchair
philistines has to be scrutinised carefully. There is not an ounce of
decent psychological research on text comprehension behind most of the
pronouncements of technical writing rednecks. As for literary
aesthetics, this doesn't get a look in - anyone care to stick a novel
through one of these joke programs?

So, the first prerequisite for style checkers in schools is proper
experimental validation of the rule base - breaking/obeying rules
must be shown to have a measurable effect on comprehension
performance.

The second prerequisite is the harder one and takes us into the
Weizenbaum camp - the rules checked in the experiments must be
translated faithfully into a program - not easy as we know that
our current formal representations of language and knowledge are
wholly inadequate, and given the nature of computation may never be
adequate.  Philosophical objections apart, I will never trust programmers with
no background in what they are programming to get the job right unless
the domain experts have a cast iron way of validating the program (this works
well for many science and engineering problems, as well as for simple
data processing).

So, the current style rules aren't rules, and even if they were their
encapsulation in a computer program cannot be proven.
--
  Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Ben Line Building, Edinburgh, EH1 1TN
  JANET:  gilbert@uk.ac.hw.aimmi    ARPA:   gilbert%aimmi.hw.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk