[comp.ai.digest] Grammar Checkers

g-chapma@GUMBY.WISC.EDU (Ralph Chapman) (04/20/87)

I was asked to forward this message in response to the article by
Linda G. Means:

From sklein@rsch.wisc.edu Thu Apr 16 14:20:13 1987
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 87 15:18:42 CDT
From: sklein@rsch.wisc.edu (Sheldon Klein)
Subject: Re:  grammar checkers

I accept the note as one more piece of evidence that
the field of Comp Sci, Comp Ling & AI
are providing the prosthetic devices to allow
otherwise unemployable segments of the  World population
to function for pay in occupations for which they would
have been congenitally  unqualified in an earlier era.

Those capable of constructing complex sentences which, to some
pundits of an earlier era reflected the ability to think complex
thoughts, will have to abandon their elitist modes of cognition
for the greater benefit of the larger segment of humankind.

MEANS@gmr.COM ("Linda G. Means") (05/04/87)

mom:   toaster oven, kimono   Todd Ogasawara writes in AILIST Digest v.5 #108:

  >I think that if these style checking tools are used in conjunction
  >with the efforts of a good teacher of writing, then these style
  >checkers are of great benefit.  It is better that children learn a
  >few rules of writing to start with than no rules at all.  Of course,
  >reading lots of good examples of writing and a good teacher are still
  >necessary.

  Sure, but the problem is the bogus rules that the child is likely
to infer from the output of the style-checking program, like never
write a sentence longer than x words, or don't use passive voice,
or try not to write sentences with multiple clauses.

  >On another level... I happened to discuss my response above with one
  >of my dissertation committee members.  His reaction?  He pulled out
  >a recent thesis proposal filled with red pencil marks (mostly
  >grammatical remarks) and said, "So what if the style checkers are
  >superficial?  Most mistakes are superficial.  Better that the style
  >checker should find these things than me."

  Sounds like a rather irresponsible attitude to me, given the state
of the art of automatic style checkers.  Your prof needs a graduate
student slave if he dislikes having to correct student grammar
errors.  Let's consider separately the issues of grammar correction and
stylistic advice (the two worlds partially overlap, but remain distinct
some areas).

  1.  Grammar.  As your prof points out, lots of grammar errors are
  superficial, but your commercial grammar checker will fail to find all
  of them, correct perceived mistakes which really aren't, and give plenty
  of bad advice.  Those programs "know" less about grammar than the students
  who use them.  Any bonafide grammatical errors which can be found by the
  commercially available software could also be found by the writer if he
  were to proof his paper carefully. It grieves me to think of students
  failing to proof their own papers because the computer can do it for them.

  2.  Style.  The analysis of writing style is not a superficial task; it is,
  in fact, a kind of expertise not found in many "literate" individuals.
  In my experience, the best way to learn to write well is to scrutinize
  your work in the company of a good writer who will think aloud with you
  while helping you to rewrite sentences.  I've successfully taught various
  people to write that way.  The second best method is a patient teacher's
  red pen.  In both cases, your prose is being evaluated by someone who is
  trying to understand what you are trying to communicate in your writing.

     You must understand that this is not the case with the computer.  It
  probably has no way of representing the discourse as a whole; all analysis
  is performed at the sentence level with a heavy emphasis on syntax and
  with no semantic theory of style. The result?  Stylistic advice which
  is so superficial as to be useless.  Many years of research in the area of
  computational stylistics have provided evidence that although some (few)
  stylistic discriminators can be found through syntactic analysis, the
  features which contribute to textual cohesion and to a given writer's
  "stylistic fingerprint" cannot.  Researchers are still stymied by the
  problem of identifying stylistically significant features of a text.
  Yet the program advocated by Carl Kadie feigns an understanding of the
  effect that the prose will have on its reader; it generalizes from
  syntactic structure to stylistic impact.  Look at the summary generated
  at the end of the text.  The program equates active voice and short
  sentences with "directness".  I won't take the time here to argue
  against the use of fuzzy adjectives like 'direct', 'expressive', 'fresh',
  and so on to describe prose, since the use of such imprecise language
  is a longstanding tradition in the arena of literary criticism.  I can't
  tell you exactly how to make your writing "direct", but I know that
  directness cannot always be computed empirically, which is how your
  machine computes it.  A paragraph of non sequiturs probably shouldn't
  be characterized as direct, even if all sentences are short and contain
  only active verbs.

  An aside to Ken Laws:

  You questioned whether the topic of automatic style checkers is appropriate
to AILIST: is it AI?  I believe it is.  The study of computational stylistics
is a difficult natural language problem with a long history.  Topics range
from authorship studies of anonymous works to trying to identify stylistic
idiosyncrasies to automatic style advisors.  In general, many theoretical issues
carry over from other areas of natural language processing, like discourse
analysis and understanding human reasoning processes.  Think of a favorite
author.  You may sometimes recognize a sample of his writing without
even knowing who wrote it, or you may say of another writer, "Gee, his
style reminds me of X".  You may put down a book which you started reading
because the style is too "obtuse".  How specifically does a writer use the
language to produce that effect?  What characteristics of a text must we
identify to enable a computer to make judgments about style?  Of course,
any advances made in tackling these issues may also be of use in the area
of text generation.

 - Linda Means
   GM Research Laboratories
   means%gmr.com@relay.cs.net

miller@ACORN.CS.ROCHESTER.EDU.UUCP (05/08/87)

    Date: Mon, 4 May 87 12:18 EST
    From: "Linda G. Means" <MEANS%gmr.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

      An aside to Ken Laws:

      You questioned whether the topic of automatic style checkers is
    appropriate to AILIST: is it AI?  I believe it is.  The study of
    computational stylistics is a difficult natural language problem
    with a long history. [...]

     - Linda Means
       GM Research Laboratories
       means%gmr.com@relay.cs.net

Personally, I suspect the question is should the discussion be carried in
AIList or moved to NL-KR. NL-KR is, indeed, already picking it up; further
such things are directly in NL-KR's scope, and the idea of the list was to be
somewhat subtractive from AIList, keeping traffic on Ken's list a little
lower.

Brad Miller
nl-kr-request@cs.rochester.edu
miller@cs.rochester.edu
miller@acorn.cs.rochester.edu

todd@uhccux.UUCP (05/08/87)

I would rather see mainstream AI-related topics given space in AIList
rather than take up more space with yet another "grammar checker"
related messsage.  And while I accept the criticism of my comments in
the spirit of academic give and take in the exchange of ideas, I will
make, I hope, the final comment in this discussion and then consider
it closed for the moment.

I wish the two following commentators

	"Linda G. Means" <MEANS%gmr.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
	gilbert@aimmi.UUCP (Gilbert Cockton)

had *read* what I said before they reacted.  I wrote:

>I think that if these style checking tools are used in conjunction
						^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
							***********

>with the efforts of a good teacher of writing, then these style
 ^^^^                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>checkers are of great benefit.  It is better that children learn a
>few rules of writing to start with than no rules at all.  Of course,
>reading lots of good examples of writing and a good teacher are still
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ *** ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
					  ***
>necessary
 ^^^^^^^^^

I don't think that anyone would seriously suggest that these borderline
"AI" programs be used *exclusively* to teach children (or people of any
other age group) to write.

My thanks to Ken Laws for allowing this interesting little discussion
to take place here instead of forcing us to move it to AI-ED (where it
probably belongs, I admit).  Now, let's get back to mainstream AI :-)

Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd
ARPA:		uhccux!todd@nosc.MIL
INTERNET:	todd@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU

  [NL-KR@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU has also been reprinting these messages. -- KIL]

HAYES@SPAR-20.ARPA.UUCP (05/08/87)

On 'Style checkers'. Of course one shouldnt criticise to extremes, and
no doubt a competent adult would find these things useful sometimes.
That wasnt what I was complaining about: it was using them to
INFLUENCE children. The word was chosen carefully.  Marvin isnt going
to think that the thing should be taken as an authority on how to
write, or that in order to write well he should simply arrange that
the style checker doesnt find any problems.  But if they are used to
grade or influence the way children write in a school setting, that is
exactly what almost all kids will rapidly decide.  ( Unless an
extraordinarily good teacher is in charge, and maybe even then.  Just
think of the pressures on a teacher to come to rely on the programs
judgement, and on a pupil to take the machine as authoritative. The
machine finds no fault with Joes essay and complains about Bettys, but
the teacher gives Betty a higher grade..... )

Pat Hayes
-------

gilbert@aimmi.UUCP.UUCP (05/09/87)

In article <MINSKY.12299573623.BABYL@MIT-OZ> MINSKY@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU writes:
>I agree with Todd, Ogasawara: one should not criticise to extremes.

What does this mean? I thought accuracy was the only goal in
criticism, not avoiding the ends of some quaint invented continuum.
Can we have a style checker which rates our extremity with marks out
of 10 (0 for credulous and 10 for rampant scepticism perhaps :-))

> I also used it to establish a "gradient".  The early
>chapters are written at a "grade level" of about 8.6 and the book ends
>up with grade levels more like 13.2 - using RightWriter's quaint
>scale.

How about MIT turning some of its resources towards VALIDATING this
quaint gradient? Do you seriously think there is any real computable ordering,
partial or otherwise, which can be applied to your chapters and
actually square up with any of our everyday evaluations of text
complexity? If so, where's the beef? How would US data square up with
European data. English teachers in the UK, for example, do not apply
unimaginative inflexible rules to students' writing, so it could be
that many educated English students will be turned off by an 8.6
introduction. Luckily we have not yet been carried away with the
belief that all complex ideas can have banal presentations without
bowdlerisation creeping in. Doubtless your style checker would ask me
to drop 'bowdlerise'? What should I have used instead, given that I
want an EXACT synonym with all its connotations? When I taught,
I would have advised my students to find a dictionary (many of them carried
them anyway - and I taught children from a wide range of cultural and
economic backgrounds). God knows what the French would say to a
mechanical style checker (a Franglais remover would go down well
though).

Finally, how on earth do these style checkers know which words will be
commonly understood? Surely they don't use word frequency in newspapers
or something like that? Does the overuse of a word in the media imply
universal understanding of/consensus on its meaning - eg. 'moral',
'freedom', 'extreme', 'quaint', 'seriously', 'inflexible' etc?
Does the limited use of a word in the media imply universal ignorance
- eg. 'ok', 'alright', 'balls', 'claptrap', 'space cadet', 'avid',
'stroppy', 'automaton'?

I would not regard any of the criticisms of style checkers I have read
as 'extreme' at all. The difference seems to be one of gross credulity
versus informed criticism. People who know nothing about good style
will believe all the things which the style checker hackers have MADE
UP - I defy any style checker implementor to point to a sound
experimental/statistical basis for the style rules they have palmed
off onto their gullible customers. Perhaps they did at least read some
books by self-proclaimed authorities, but this would only shift the charge
from invention to uncritical acceptance. I'd still be unimpressed.

This may sound extreme - that however is irrelevant. The point is,
am I accurate?. Note that my substantial assertions are few:

	i) Style don't compute. Verify by Chinese characters test
	   between a style checker and the editors of the New Yorker
	   (US) or the Listener (UK). Other quality magazine editors
	   will do. Can you spot the editors' critiques?

	ii) The current 'reading age' metrics have no validity.
	    They are bogus psychometric tools. Operationally I am
	    saying that their will be no strong correlation (say r >
	    0.9, p < 0.001) between the reading age of text and a
	    reader's performance on a comprehension test. Allow the
	    author to add a glossary and the correlation will weaken.
	    People can learn new words you know.

	iii) Current measures of popular understanding of words are
	     equally bogus and there is NO decent research to back it
	     up. There has been some good work on correlating
	     vocabulary with educational achievement, but this tells
	     us nothing about the typical adult's vocabulary.

Every assertion above is falsifiable, so let's all forget about emotive
subjective concepts like extremity (= I disagree a lot and wish you hadn't
said that) and get back to an objective, informed debate. The motion
is:

	"All computer based style checkers can stunt the literary
	 growth of their users"

A second order effect is that, although 1,000 chimpanzees could
between them type out the works of Shakespeare given enough time, they
would fail miserably if their output had to be passed by a computer
style checker.

	To be, or not to be, that is the question.
	>> Sentence starts with infinitive
	   Sentence has no subject.
	Whether it is ....
	>> "Whether" may not be understood by people who just read
	    comics. (? spelling mistake = weather ?).

--
   Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Ben Line Building, Edinburgh, EH1 1TN
   JANET:  gilbert@uk.ac.hw.aimmi    ARPA:   gilbert%aimmi.hw.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk

preece%mycroft@GSWD-VMS.ARPA.UUCP (05/12/87)

Out of curiosity, would any of the automated checkers people have
been talking about have caught the "their" for "there"
error in the following:

>         ii) The current 'reading age' metrics have no validity.
>             They are bogus psychometric tools. Operationally I am
>             saying that their will be no strong correlation (say r >
>             0.9, p < 0.001) between the reading age of text and a
>             reader's performance on a comprehension test. Allow the
>             author to add a glossary and the correlation will weaken.
>             People can learn new words you know.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana

john@viper.lynx.mn.ORG (John Stanley) (05/13/87)

In article <8705121527.AA01698@gswd-vms.ARPA>
preece%mycroft@GSWD-VMS.ARPA (Scott E. Preece) writes:
 >Out of curiosity, would any of the automated checkers people have
 >been talking about have caught the "their" for "there" error in....

  I don't know about the ones people have been talking about, but I
do know there is a program under development that can handle "there"
vs "their" or, for that matter, the "two" vs "too" vs "to".  It's a
new program, not yet released, but should be out by the end of the
year.  The company working on it is a small Minnesota based company
working on AI related software products for mini/micro/word-processor
applications.

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

gilbert@aimmi.UUCP (Gilbert Cockton) (05/21/87)

In article <974@viper.UUCP> viper!john (John Stanley) writes:

>  I don't know about the ones people have been talking about, but I
>do know there is a program under development that can handle "there"
>vs "their" or, for that matter, the "two" vs "too" vs "to".

Anyone got one for "which" versus "that"?