[comp.ai.digest] Reply - Knowledge-Based Document Retrieval

FOXEA@VTVAX3.BITNET.UUCP (05/28/87)

      [Forwarded from the IRList Digest by Laws@STRIPE.SRI.COM.]

  Date: Tue, 19 May 87 13:44:40+0900
  From: Kim Young Whan <mcvax!csd.kaist.ac.kr!ywkim@seismo.css.gov>
  Subject: References on Knowledge-based Document Retrieval

  I'm writing a Ph.D Thesis about Knowledge Based System for Document
  Retrieval, especially about rule based system using uncertainty handling
  mechanism (Bayesian, D-S Theory, Fuzzy Set Theory).  [...]

  Young-Whan Kim
  Dept. of CS KAIST
  P.O.Box 150, Cheongryang
  Seoul, 131
  Republic of Korea.
  ywkim%csd.kaist.ac.kr@relay.cs.net(from cs-net)
  ywkim%csd.kaist.ac.kr@wiscvm.wisc.edu(from bitnet)

[Note: there has been quite a lot of work on this.  There will be a
special issue of Information Processing and Management out this summer
on this topic.  Several papers at the ACM SIGIR Conf. on R&D in
Information Retrieval in New Orleans in a few weeks will be about this -
I will announce how to get proceedings from ACM when they become available.
There was a 2 part article in JASIS by Biswas et al. recently.
Notable other systems include I3R by Croft and Thomson, RUBRIC by Tong
et al., CODER by Fox et al, CANSEARCH by Pollitt, ...  Also, there are
abstracts in issues of ACM SIGIR Forum.  If you are not an ACM SIGIR
member, I encourage joining -- it still only costs $6 to ACM members,
but dues will jump to $12 soon. - Ed]