[comp.ai.digest] symbol grounding

ladkin@KESTREL.ARPA.UUCP (06/02/87)

stevan harnad writes guardedly:
> perhaps there was an element of incoherence in all but the most
> technical and restricted of signal-analytic candidates.

for the record, my suggestion was not signal-analytic, and no-one
showed any element of technical incoherence. however, it was met
with resounding uninterest, since it was a distinction from logic.
since most people want an inherent distinction, i.e. one that
maintains under translations and coding, my suspicion is still that
technical logic and complexity theory, not signal processing, is the
place to look for a solution.

peter ladkin
ladkin@kestrel.arpa