[comp.ai.digest] Symbol grounding and invertibility.

hunt@spar.UUCP.UUCP (06/22/87)

John Cugini <Cugini@icst-ecf.arpa> writes:

> What if there were a few-to-one transformation between the skin-level
> sensors ...
> My example was to suppose that #1:
> a combination of both red and green retinal receptors and #2 a yellow
> receptor BOTH generated the same iconic yellow.

We humans see the world (to a first order at least) through red, green and
blue receptors. We are thus unable to distinguish between light of a yellow
frequency, and a mixture of light of red and green frequencies, and we assign
to them a single token - yellow. However, if our visual apparatus was
equipped with yellow receptors as well, then these two input stimuli
would *appear* quite different, as indeed they are. In this case I think
that it is highly unlikely that we would have the same symbol to
represent the two cases.

Consider a species with only two classes of colour receptors, low
frequency and high frequency, roughly equivalent to our concepts
of red and blue, but with no middle frequency receptors corresponding
to a human concept of green). Creatures of such a species when shown
pure green light would receive reduced levels from the receptors
on each side of green frequency, thus receiving some combination of
blue and red signals. This would be indistinguishable from a mixture
of blue and red, which we call magenta. Such creatures might then
reason (incorrectly) about the possibility of having a middle frequency
receptor, and having a many to one mapping between case #1, pure
green light, and case #2, a mixture of red and blue, and wonder
about how that affects questions of invertibility. As we humans know,
if these creatures had such a visual capability, they would
invent a new symbol for magenta, and there would be no many to one
mapping.

> Clearly this iconic representation is non-invertible back out to the
> sensory surfaces, but intuitively it seems like it would be grounded
> nonetheless - how about it?

The fallacy is that iconic representation described is indeed non invertible,
but it is also clearly not grounded, since if we had yellow receptors,
we would be able to perceive a difference between, and require a new
symbol for one of the new colours.

Neil/.

----- End Forwarded Message -----