[comp.ai.digest] thinking about thinking not being science

amsler@FLASH.BELLCORE.COM (Robert Amsler) (07/03/87)

I think Don Norman's argument is true for cognitive psychologists,
but may not be true for AI researchers. The reason is that the two
groups seek different answers. If AI were only the task of finding
out how people work, then it would be valid to regard armschair
reasoning as an invalid form of speculation. One can study
people directly (this is the old ``stop arguing over the number of
teeth in a horse's mouth and go outside and count them'' argument).
However, some AI researchers are really engineers at heart. The
question then is not how do people work, but how could processes
providing comparable performance quality to those of humans be made
to work in technological implementations.  `Could' is important.
Airplanes are clearly not very good imitations of birds.  They are
too big, for one thing. They have wheels instead of feet, and the
list goes on and on (no feathers!).  Speculating about flight might
lead to building other types of aircraft (as certainly those now
humorous old films of early aviation experiments show), but it would
certainly be a bad procedure to follow to understand birds and how
they fly. Speculating about why the $6M man appears as he does
while running is a tad off the beaten path for AILIST, but that
process of speculation is hardly worthless for arriving at novel
means of representing memory or perception FOR COMPUTER SYSTEMS.

Lets not squabble over the wrong issue.  The problem is that the
imagery of the $6M man's running is just too weak as a springboard for
much directed thought and the messages (including my own earlier
reply) are just rambling off in directions more appropriate to
SF-Lovers than AILIST. I do agree that the CURRENT discussion isn't
likely to lead anywhere--but not that the method of armchair
speculation is invalid in AI.

cottrell%ics@SDCSVAX.UCSD.EDU.UUCP (07/07/87)

In article <8707030236.AA29872@flash.bellcore.com>
amsler@FLASH.BELLCORE.COM (Robert Amsler) writes:
>I think Don Norman's argument is true for cognitive psychologists,
>but may not be true for AI researchers. The reason is that the two
>groups seek different answers. [....] Speculating about flight might
>lead to building other types of aircraft (as certainly those now
>humorous old films of early aviation experiments show), but it would
>certainly be a bad procedure to follow to understand birds and how
>they fly.

In fact, the Wright Brothers spent quite a bit of time studying how
birds fly, and as a recent Scientific American notes, we may still have
a lot to learn from natural systems. A piece of Dennis Conner's boat was
based on a whale's tailfin.

I think Don's point was that many times AI researchers spend a lot of time
theorizing about how humans work, and then use that as justification for
their designs for AI systems, without ever consulting the facts.

It is certainly true that Cognitive Scientists and AI researchers are at
different ends of a spectrum (from NI (Natural Intelligence) to AI), but it
would be foolish for AI researchers not to take hints from the best example
of an intelligient being we have. On the other hand, it is not appropriate
for a medical expert system to make the same mistakes doctors do - sometimes
a criterion for a "good" cognitive model.

gary cottrell
Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
UCSD,
La Jolla, Ca. 92093
cottrell@nprdc.arpa (ARPA) (or perhaps cottrell%ics@cs.ucsd.edu)
{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdics!cottrell (USENET)
THE FUTURE'S SO BRIGHT I GOTTA WEAR SHADES - Timbuk 3