[comp.ai.digest] Say, what ever happened to ... ICOT Prolog?????

elsaesser%mwcamis@MITRE.ARPA.UUCP (06/11/87)

It seems ages ago that the 5th generation project was going to
reinvent AI in a Prolog "engine" that was to do 10 gazillion "
LIPS".  Anyone know what happened?  I mean, if you can make so many
"quality" cars (sans auto transmission, useful A/C, paint that can take
rain and sun, etc.), why can't you make a computer that runs an NP-complete
applications language in real time???  Semi-seriously, what is the status
of the 5th generation project, anyone got an update?

chris (elsaesser%mwcamis@mitre.arpa)

  [See the June IEEE Spectrum, "Next-Generation Race Bogs Down", Karen
  Fitzgerald and Raul Wallich, pp. 28-33, for a review.  The
  Japanese effort is doing well enough in its parallel architecture
  development and is making some progress in "knowledge programming",
  but has dropped VLSI technology and made little headway in AI and
  knowledge representation.  Competitive efforts in the U.S. and
  Europe have also had the most success in hardware.  The real question
  now is whether the 5th-generation push has given Japan the kind of
  computer-science infrastructure that it needs to compete and perhaps
  pull out ahead in algorithm development.  My guess is that it has not
  (because the software part of the effort was too small).  An interesting
  sign of change, though, is the Japanese government's invitation to
  Western universities to set up branches in Japan.  I assume that
  Japanese leaders will always come from Tyodai or Kyodai, but perhaps
  computer scientists will be educated in a different tradition.  -- KIL]

chik@icot.jp (Chikayama Takashi) (07/15/87)

In article <8706111231.AA18169@mitre.arpa> elsaesser%mwcamis@MITRE.ARPA writes:
>It seems ages ago that the 5th generation project was going to
>reinvent AI in a Prolog "engine" that was to do 10 gazillion "
>LIPS".  Anyone know what happened?  I mean, if you can make so many
>"quality" cars (sans auto transmission, useful A/C, paint that can take
>rain and sun, etc.), why can't you make a computer that runs an NP-complete
>applications language in real time???  Semi-seriously, what is the status
>of the 5th generation project, anyone got an update?

Well, we are sorry not distributing enough information to the AI
society.  Most papers related to ICOT's research are distributed to
the logic programming society but not to the AI world (I guess you
know how poor propagandist Japanese are:-).  Many are reported in:
	International Conference on Logic Programming
	IEEE Symposium on Logic Programming
Please look into proceedings of these conferences.

For about 10 gazillion LIPS computers: What our research of these 5
years revealed is that highly parallel hardware can never be practical
without much software effort, including new concepts in programming
languages.  More stress is put upon software than in the original
project plan.  Indeed, VLSI technology is dropped off from the
project.  Our experience shows that VLSI technology is NOT the most
difficult point in the way to realistic highly parallel computer
systems.  An efficient system with 256 processors may be built without
changing the software at all.  But for systems with 4096 processors,
we need a drastic change.  And this is what we need to achieve 10
gazillion LIPS.  NOT that VLSI technology has become easier, but that
we have found MORE difficult problems, unfortunately.

Where are we?  Well, one of our recent hardware achievement is the
development of the PSI-II machine, which executes 400 KLIPS (much less
than 10 gazillion, I guess :-).  It is a sequential machine and will
be used as element processors of our prototype parallel processor
Multi-PSI V2 (with 64 PE's), whose hardware is scheduled to come up at
the end of this year.

If you are interested in our research, a survey by myself titled:
	"Parallel Inference System Researches in the FGCS Project"
will be presented in the IEEE Symposium on Logic Programming, held at
San Francisco during Aug 31-Sep 4, 1987.  If you are more interested
in our project, please join the FGCS'88 conference.  It will be held
in Tokyo during Nov 28-Dec 2, 1988.

Takashi Chikayama