[comp.ai.digest] Macsyma Sources

petti@ALLEGHENY.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (Richard Petti) (08/10/87)

    From: jbn@glacier.stanford.edu  (John B. Nagle)
    Subject: Re: Macsyma Sources

	 A competing package is MuMath, from

		    Soft Warehouse
		    3615 Harding Av
		    Honolulu Hawaii 96816

		    808-734-5801

    This is a symbolic math package written in a quaint but charming dialect
    of LISP, for which an interpreter is provided.  There are versions for the
    Apple II and IBM PC, and recently a modern version for the PC has been re-
    leased.  I've used the older version on some messy vector calculus problems
    in my solid modelling work, and found it quite useful in dealing with the
    grunt work of algebra and calculus.  The heuristics aren't very powerful,
    but the algorithms for the standard solution methods all seem to work.
    Microsoft resells this package, when they remember it is in their product
    line, but the developers are in Hawaii and one may as well deal directly
    with them.  Sometimes one of the developers answers the phone.

					    John Nagle

MACSYMA is being ported to IBM AT class machines, i.e. 80286 with DOS.
It will have the same, or nearly the same functionality as the
standard commercial-grade MACSYMA's available from the Computer Aided
Mathematics Group at Symbolics.  If you are interested in beta-tesing
it (starting in October) please call us at 1-800-MACSYMA (622-7962).

With regard to the capabilities you mention above, MACSYMA has a
vector calculus package and two tensor calculus packages.