[comp.ai.digest] Should AI be scientific? If yes, how?

mckee@CORWIN.CCS.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (08/21/87)

	One reason is simple intellectual honesty.  If AI researchers
call themselves Computer Scientists (as many of them do), they're implicitly
also claiming to be scientists.  And to be perfectly blunt, any scientist
who doesn't use the scientific method is a charlatan.  I'd prefer AI to be
serious science, but if you don't want to do science, I won't argue.
Misrepresentation is a different matter:  if it's not science, don't call
it science.
	Another, more technical reason involves the perennial question
"what is reality?", and how one verifies any answer that might be submitted.
The question is important to AI not only in its "what is intelligence, really?"
aspect, but also because any AI system that interacts with the real world
ought to have an accurate understanding of its environment.  Scientific facts
are (almost by definition) the most accurate description of the universe
that we have, and scientific theories the best summaries.  And the reason
this is so is because the scientific method is the best way we've yet
discovered for making sure that facts and explanations are accurate.
	Besides science, the other significant field with aspirations toward
understanding reality is philosophy, which has even evolved a specialized
subfield, ontology, devoted to the question.  Now I haven't studied ontology,
not because the question is unimportant, but because I think philosophical
methodology is fatally flawed, and incapable of convincing me of the substance
of any conclusions that it might obtain.  I'm not interested in a discussion
of how philosophy has or has not lost its way since Kant wrote his "Prolegomena
to Any Future Metaphysics Which Will Be Able to Come Forth as Science", but
I think philosophers' methodology has kept them from being as productive of
useful understanding as they could have been.
	The critical question in choice of methodology concerns verifiablity.
I'd hate to see AI researchers cast adrift in a sea of notions by thinking
that a solid intellectual structure can be built on "Philosophical Foundations",
so I'm going to attempt to concisely describe a schema of the different ways
a theory can be confirmed.  I'm afraid I'll have to leave out a lot of details
and examples, but I hope you'll be able to fill in the rest of the picture
yourself.  In this schema, philosophy turns out to use the weakest form of
confirmation, AI as it's currently practiced uses somewhat stronger methods,
and the natural sciences end up as strongest.

	To see how this happens, think of the subject matter of a field
of study as a set of statements (observations, facts) connected by a network of
reasons.  The reasons can be arbitrarily long (or short) chains of inferences.
What a researcher needs to do to "understand" the field is find a set of
axioms and inference rules that will show the explanatory relation between
any pair of observations.  However, the problem is underdetermined -- there's
more than one consistent set of explanations for any set of facts.  At the
very least, one can always say "Because!", and define a special rule for
each ill-behaved pair of facts.  Doing this everywhere gives your theory
a very simple structure, and Occam's razor decrees that simplicity is important.
	If there are always multiple theories that can explain all the observed
data, then one must turn to some confirmation methodology to distinguish
between them, and using anything but the most powerful techniques is a waste
of time and resources.  They are all based on prediction -- applying
explanations to facts until one has covered all the facts, then generating
new "potential facts" from incompletely bound explanations.  For philosophers,
all that can be done is to compare predictions, since the operations of
the human mind are not externally visible.  Worse, the facts of experience
itself are inaccessible to more than one theorist, so that the data
can't be verified, only statements about it.  And since Godel proved his
famous incompleteness theorem, we've known that no realistic model of the
world can be derived from a finite set of axioms, so there's no way of telling
if any discrepancy in predictions might be cured by the addition of "just
one more" axiom.  [Beyond this my metamathematics doesn't go.  It would be
interesting to know if there's any convergence at higher degrees of
metafication.  I don't think so, though.]
	In AI, one can trace the operation of a theory that's been instantiated
as a program, as long as there's sharing of source code and the hardware is
the same.  This gives you operational confirmation as well as implicational
confirmation, since you can watch the computer's "mind" at work, pausing
to examine the data, or single-step the inference engine.  The points of
divergence between multiple theories of the same phenomenon can thus be
precisely determined.  But theories summarize data, and where does the
data come from?  In academia, it's probably been typed in by a grad student;
in industry, I guess this is one of the jobs of the knowledge engineer.
In either case there's little or no standard way to tell if the data that
are used represent a reliable sample from the population of possible data
that could have been used.  In other sciences the curriculum usually includes
at least one course in statistics to give researchers a feel for sampling
theory, among other topics.  Statistical ignorance means that when an AI
program makes an unexpected statement, you have only blind intuition and
"common sense" to help decide whether the statement is an artifact of sampling
error or a substantial claim.
	In the natural sciences, in addition to implicational and operational
confirmation, you'll find external confirmation.  Each relation in the theory
is tested by an experiment on the phenomenon itself, often in many ways in
many experiments.  It's not easy to think of statements about the content
of AI (as opposed to its practice or techniques) that *could* be validated
this way, much less hypotheses that actually *have* been experimentally
validated. Hopefully, it's my ignorance of the field that leads me to
say this.  The best I can think of at the moment is "all intelligent systems
that interact with the physical world maintain multiple representations
for much of their knowledge."

	To verify a hypothesis like this, one of the strategies one can
use is to build synthetic intelligent systems and then look at their
structure and performance, remembering that the engineering used during
construction is not the scientific goal.  And then, to understand the
structure one would use analytic techniques, and to understand the performance
one would use behaviorist techniques. (Behaviorist anti-theory can safely
be ignored, but don't forget that their methodology allowed them to discover
learning sets when their animals became skilled at finding solutions to
new *kinds* of problems.)
	Another strategy is to look at the structure and behavior of the
intelligent systems one finds in nature.  One would use the same methods
to validate the behavioral descriptions as in the synthetic case, but
to study natural systems' structure one must use indirect, non-invasive means
or non-human subjects, since ethical considerations forbid destructive
testing of humans except in very special circumstances.  However the problem
here is not lack of data but lack of understanding.  If I believed that
more data was needed, I'd be back in the lab recording from multiple
microelectrodes, or standing in line for time on a magnetic resonance
imager (which can already give you sub-millimeter resolution in a 3-dimensional
brain image -- why wait for magnetoencephalography which won't tell you
what you want to know anyway?), instead of building and running abstract
models of neural tissue.

			Oops, four times as many words as I had hoped for.
			Oh well, thanks for your attention.
	- George McKee
	  College of Computer Science [sic]
	  Northeastern University, Boston 02115

CSnet: mckee@Corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU
Phone: (617) 437-5204

Quote of the day: "It's not what you don't know that hurts you,
			it's the things you know that ain't so."
					- Mark Twain

shebs@CS.UTAH.EDU.UUCP (08/25/87)

In article <8708240436.AA19024@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
mckee@CORWIN.CCS.NORTHEASTERN.EDU writes:

>[...] If AI researchers
>call themselves Computer Scientists (as many of them do), they're implicitly
>also claiming to be scientists.

Not necessarily.  "Computer Science" is an unfortunate term that should be
phased out.  I wasn't there when it got popular, but the timing is right for
the term to have been inspired by the plethora of "sciences" that got named
when the govt started handing out lots of money for science in the 60s.
I prefer the term "informatics" as the best of a bad lot of alternatives.
("Datology" sounds like a subfield of history; the study of dates :-) )

>[... tutorial on scientific method omitted ...]
>	In AI, one can trace the operation of a theory that's been instantiated
>as a program, as long as there's sharing of source code and the hardware is
>the same.  This gives you operational confirmation as well as implicational
>confirmation, since you can watch the computer's "mind" at work, pausing
>to examine the data, or single-step the inference engine.

Goedel's and Turing's ghosts are looking over our shoulders.  We can't do
conventional science because, unlike the physical universe, the computational
universe is wide open, and anything can compute anything.  Minute examination
of a particular program in execution tells one little more than what the
programmer was thinking about when writing the program.

>The points of
>divergence between multiple theories of the same phenomenon can thus be
>precisely determined.  But theories summarize data, and where does the
>data come from?  In academia, it's probably been typed in by a grad student;
>in industry, I guess this is one of the jobs of the knowledge engineer.
>In either case there's little or no standard way to tell if the data that
>are used represent a reliable sample from the population of possible data
>that could have been used.  In other sciences the curriculum usually includes
>at least one course in statistics to give researchers a feel for sampling
>theory, among other topics.  Statistical ignorance means that when an AI
>program makes an unexpected statement, you have only blind intuition and
>"common sense" to help decide whether the statement is an artifact of sampling
>error or a substantial claim.

I took a course in statistics, but you don't need a course to know that
sampling from a population is not meaningful, if you don't know what the
population is in the first place!  In the case of AI, the population is
"intelligent behavior".  Who among us can define *that* population precisely?
If the population is more restricted, say "where native-speaking Germans
place their verbs", then you're back in the Turing tarpit.  A program that
just says "at the end" (:-) is behaviorally as valid as something that
does some complex inferences to arrive at the same conclusion.  Worse,
Occam's razor makes us want to prefer the simpler program, even though
it won't generalize to other natural languages.  When we generalize the
program, the population to sample gets ill-defined again, and we're back
where we started.

>[...] It's not easy to think of statements about the content
>of AI (as opposed to its practice or techniques) that *could* be validated
>this way, much less hypotheses that actually *have* been experimentally
>validated. Hopefully, it's my ignorance of the field that leads me to
>say this.  The best I can think of at the moment is "all intelligent systems
>that interact with the physical world maintain multiple representations
>for much of their knowledge."

This could only be a testable hypothesis if we agreed on the definition
of "intelligent system".  Are gorillas intelligent because they use sign
language?  Are birds intelligent because they use sticks?  Are thermostats
intelligent?  I don't believe the above hypothesis is testable.  Almost the
only agreement you'd get is that humans are intelligent (ah, the hubris of
our species), but then you'd have to build a synthetic human, which isn't
going to be possible anytime soon.  Even if you did build a synthetic human,
you'd get a lot of disagreement about whether it was correctly built, since
the Turing Test is too slow for total verification.

>	- George McKee
>	  College of Computer Science [sic]
>	  Northeastern University, Boston 02115

AI people are generally wary of succumbing to "physics envy" and studying only
that which is easily quantifiable.  It's like the drunk searching under the
street light because that's where it's easy to see.  AI will most likely
continue to be an eclectic mixture of philosophy, mathematics, informatics,
and psychology.  Perhaps the only problem is the name of the funding source -
any chance of an "NAIF"? :-)

							stan shebs
							shebs@cs.utah.edu

mps@duke.cs.duke.EDU.UUCP (08/28/87)

In article <8708251656.AA14266@cs.utah.edu> cs.utah.edu!shebs@cs.utah.edu
(Stanley Shebs) writes:

>Goedel's and Turing's ghosts are looking over our shoulders.  We can't do
>conventional science because, unlike the physical universe, the computational
							     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>universe is wide open, and anything can compute anything.  Minute examination
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>of a particular program in execution tells one little more than what the
>programmer was thinking about when writing the program.

	[emphasis added]

Would you please explain this tantalizing remark?  Surely not every
formal system can compute every function (what about the ghost of
Chomsky?).  Are you alluding to the mutual emulatability of Turing
machines?  Or maybe the moral is functionalism (as philosophers use
the term): that in matters computational, it's form and not matter
that matters.  And how does Goedel fit in?  I suspect it's his
completeness theorem and not his incompleteness results you have in
mind.  Finally, how does the third sentence follow from the second?
Thanks.

"Just as a vessel is a place that can be carried around, so place is a
 vessel that cannot be carried around."		Aristotle

Michael P. Smith	ARPA:	mps@duke.cs.duke.edu

shebs@CS.UTAH.EDU (Stanley Shebs) (09/03/87)

In article <8708281322.AA27689@duke.cs.duke.edu> duke!mps
(Michael P. Smith) writes:
>In article <8708251656.AA14266@cs.utah.edu> cs.utah.edu!shebs@cs.utah.edu
>(Stanley Shebs) writes:
>>
>>Goedel's and Turing's ghosts are looking over our shoulders.  We can't do
>>conventional science because, unlike the physical universe, the computational
>							     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>universe is wide open, and anything can compute anything.  Minute examination
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>of a particular program in execution tells one little more than what the
>>programmer was thinking about when writing the program.
>>
>	[emphasis added]
>
>Would you please explain this tantalizing remark?  Surely not every
>formal system can compute every function (what about the ghost of
>Chomsky?).  Are you alluding to the mutual emulatability of Turing
>machines?

This is basic computer science.  Any formalism sufficiently powerful
to compute all the computable things we know of is equivalent to a Turing
machine (Church-Turing Hypothesis), and formalisms of that power are
all incomplete (Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem).  Incompleteness rears
its ugly head when we find that our most sophisticated programs cannot be
tested completely.

Simpler formal systems such as CFGs are too weak to model human intelligence,
although some aspects of human behavior have been asserted to be context-free
(for instance, Presidents that don't learn from their predecessors :-) ).

>Finally, how does the third sentence follow from the second?

This is the empirical consequence of Turing equivalence.  I can write
Eurisko or XCON in Lisp, Forth, or IBM 1401 assembler, and they will all
behave the same.  Assertions about the details about a program are worthless
from a theoretical point of view, details of algorithms are somewhat better,
but the algorithms appearing in AI programs are either too simple (searching
for instance) or too complicated to be analyzable (the abovementioned large
programs).